FMAT: Why bother with FMA???

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Why bother with FMA???
By cfr - Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:44:02 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

OK, not that I have your attention let me explain what I really meant. I’ve been giving some consideration to FMA. I used to go to a school that was a combination of FMA, JKD, and Muay Thai that was pretty cool. But I’ll admit even then I had this same question: How is FMA very practical? I am NOT asking this to offend, but to be educated. To make somewhat of a guess on if I have any interest or not. My thoughts/ questions are these:
  • The chances of me running into someone looking for a fight and either of us carrying a set of sticks seems pretty minimal.
  • As far as defense goes, is there really much that can be done against a guy that is really trying to harm me with a baseball bat (much more likely that a stick) or a knife other than running? Have any of you attempted these defenses against someone training at a fast pace, when you didn’t know what attack was coming (yes, obviously with protective gear)?
  • As far as offense goes, how much skill does it really require to hurt someone with one of the weapons listed above?
I ask numbers 2 and 3 because if you watch FMA on You Tube, you either see:
  • Completely rehearsed, planned attacks with prearranged defenses.
  • Two guys padded up, whacking each other at full speed with sticks. Now there may be more offense and defense than what my untrained eye can spot, but from a totally ignorant point of view, it really doesn’t look like much skill is required (though it does *look* like fun, although that could change upon trying it).
I’m already aware that I won’t know what it’s like from watching videos. However, in order for me to get into FMA I would need to give up something out of my schedule, so I’m trying to get a sense on if it’s something I’d find enjoyable/ beneficial to me or not.

Again, I am in no way trying to offend anyone. I am asking these questions because every time I find myself with an interest in FMA, I wind up asking myself these same questions, and simply don’t have the answers.

Thanks!

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions