FMAT: Please Help Me Choose a School (in NJ)!

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Please Help Me Choose a School (in NJ)!
By NJMMADude - 04-29-2009 10:22 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Greetings Everyone!

Years ago I had the fortune of being exposed to the Inosanto/Lacoste blend of FMA for a short time. I picked up a few techniques and concepts which made a difference overall in my philosophy of martial arts training and really enjoyed the art. I was caught up in the whirlwind of MMA training, did my competition, etc. and found that lately I am really missing the FMA and would like to get back into it.

I live in Central NJ and have a few options. Granted the options are rather far away, but what I have as choices are Bakbakan (about 1:20 away), PIMA Academy (Doce Pares Multi-System, about 1 hour away), and about 1:10 in the other direction is a Pekiti Tersia training group.

I realize that these are all very good systems and schools, and I am not asking anyone to put down one system or school over the other. However, I'm hoping that someone could recommend one of the schools based on my goals. I'd like to learn a system that will start me from the ground up, but balance the training between stick, knife, espada y daga, empty hand, etc. I lean more toward the combative side of the arts than the sporting side (there's something I love about the tribal warrior history), but I know that live training is a necessity, and I do like the sparring aspect. Finally, I have always leaned toward simple and efficient, and have always favored largo mano methods (of what I learned from years ago).

I've read up on all three arts and realize that all three may fit these molds, so I am looking for more insight on what I could expect and maybe some recommendations of what I could look at first. Again, please don't take this as me asking someone to put one system over another, I realize that they are all great systems but am not sure which I should pursue. Also, if anyone knows any other arts in the area that fit this description, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I really appreciate any help you can give me. I apologize for the long post and wish everyone good training. Thank you for your time.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions