FMAT: no mixing policy - agree/disagree?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
no mixing policy - agree/disagree?
By MichaelJB - 01-23-2010 09:32 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hey folks -

I recently met a fellow FMA practitioner and through regular talks eventually we decided to meet up sometime to share and compare in a friendy manner. The other person had a high interest in seeing ANY other FMA style (his only exposure was the style in which he currently trains) and I in turn had a high interest in seeing his, especially since I've never seen it live and up close before. The other practitioner had one issue, to make sure he let his Guro know that we was planning on a friendly session with a practitioner of a different style...

1, 2...6 and the other person was not allowed to participate in sharing. From what I understand, he signed some agreement that had this type of clause, not just on that school's level but apparently the whole organization.

Now, I don't have any problem with this person's loyalty to his Guro and association. In fact, I admire it since he could have easily decided to share with me anyway. But I have to admit, I'm a little dismayed that this has happened. Here was a chance for both of us to learn and grow mutually and firmly establish a budding friendship.

What do you guys think of the instructor's/association's stance? Think it's good for style purity? A good policy to prevent a student from confusing him/herself? A superiority complex? Something else?

Michael

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I love cross training, and working with others, comparing ideas, knowledge, etc., so IMO, this guys inst. sounds very controlling. All of my teachers always encourage me to train with other people. Additionally, what I do on my own, outside of the class, is my business. If the day were to come, that one of my teachers, told me that I could not train with someone, or in some other art, etc., that would be the day that I was no longer a student of that teacher.

IMO, as long as this was done to better the persons individual knowledge, I see nothing wrong with it. I've trained with PT people, but I keep that for myself. I dont run out and teach it, nor do I claim to be an expert or student of that system. I take a few things, and drill the hell out of them. I'm bettering myself and thats what matters to me. :)