FMAT: New here... a few questions

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
New here... a few questions
By amadeus - 09-29-2009 04:44 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

So i have been very interested in learning Escrima/Arnis for some time now but as I live in the mid-west it is hard to find instruction anywhere. I have found 2 places however and they are both Kombatan lineage. One is run by Julius Melegrito the other is taught by Scott Taylor who in turn was taught by Marvin Dickerson who supposedly trained under one of Grandmaster Presas Sr. students (since they're in the same city I assume this would be Melegrito) as well as Grandmaster Presas himself. I know absolutely nothing about Taylor or Dickerson so my first question would be does anyone know anything about them or their claims and why they would no longer be affiliated with Presas' association? As for Melegrito I have heard a few things from several people and his name keeps popping up (and not in a good way) when I look around Escrima/Arnis sites. My fiance trained with him/taught at his school when it was just a Tang Soo Do dojo and she mainly keeps going back to him being extremely greedy. However, while this may come into play later, I'm more interested in what he's like as a teacher and why he is no longer affiliated with Kombatan? I've looked around and tried to dredge up the answer myself but I keep running into cryptic answers that aren't really answers, so I would appreciate a straight up response if anyone knows.

Would it be worth looking into classes with any of these people?

Beyond that would it be worth my time to invest in some DVD's to try and learn? If so, do you have any recommendation?
Thanks....

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions