FMAT: Constant vigilance!

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Constant vigilance!
By MichaelJB - Sat, 03 Nov 2007 04:12:56 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

I've been quietly following "if you only had 15 minutes to teach" and "if you only had 2hrs a week to teach" and I completely agree with the many responses in both threads. I'm big on the "constant vigilance" concept. My wife is constantly thinking I'm not paying attention to her or "checking out" that chick (well sometimes) when I'm actually just keeping an eye on my surroundings.

Anyway, an incident happened this week to a co-worker (he has no MA training, btw) that brings up an obvious but still mention-worthy aspect of constant vigilance.

...and now, a short story:

Here's the end of the story first - My co-worker was rushed to the hospital at 3 this morning for bleeding of the brain. There is a chance he will die.

Here's how he got there - This past weekend, my co-worker was somehow able to prevent getting into a fist fight while at a bar. As he turned around to leave/go to a different part of the bar/whatever, KAPOW!!! he got hit in the head, probably by a bottle.

My human half goes out to him and his family. This is such a terible thing to happen to anybody, especially such a nice guy. The cowardace of the attacker is disgusting and he deserves to rot in hell.

My warrior half is having a harder time at being compasionate, however. This was an avoidable incident. Even without training, had he not turned his back quite so soon he would have either seen the strike coming and respond accordingly or prevented a strike from ever coming at all. Like the saying goes, "Never take your eyes off of your opponent."

It's important to remember the mental/emotional facets of a confrontation and not focus only on the physical. A fight isn't necessarily over/not going to happen just because people don't have their fists up. People get butt-hurt, egos blown, pride tarnished and can even keep a "maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day I'm gonna get you" attitude for a long time. Never let your guard down - keep constant vigilance.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions