FMAT: Are you a Fighter or a Phony?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Are you a Fighter or a Phony?
By geezer - Sat, 02 Feb 2008 02:54:16 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

If you are not a natural born fighter, can martial arts training (FMA or whatever) really give you the mentality, as well as the physique and technique, to hold your own against someone who is? If not, are all of us average Joe's who train FMA's just living in a fantasy world? And, should fighting prowess be a major factor in choosing an instructor? Otherwise, are they just phonies? Hell if I know, but this came up on another thread, and I think it's a pretty important question. What do the rest of you think?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I do not have the body of a top tier athlete so I guess I must be a phony. ;)

The mentality can be trained over time. Some take a long time while others it is more natural or yet again some never get it.

The technique may not give them the mentality to be a fighter but if it gives them the confidence to try something and possible get away then there is some value.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that the attitude can be trained to an extent, but I do believe that some people are better suited mentally to the aggressive, competitive, must-win attitude needed to realy fight to the end. To be frank, aggression wins out more often than we'd care to think, and I always emphasize attitude--you must be able to go from zero to "It sucks to be you" in 0 seconds. So, yes technique can help, especially with weapons, but in bare-knuckle brawling the one who wants it more has a huge advantage.