FMA Division in MI Tournament in May 2008

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I hate making a plug (especially since I've been away for so long and I hope it's not in the wrong forum) but the studio that I am teaching out of now holds an annual tournament. 2008's is coming up in May and we are kicking around the idea of officially having an escrima division. I don't have the specific date but it's going to be in May. I'll get more info as things develop. One thing for sure, we are using a modified version of the WEKAF rules as they seem to be quite complete and most safe.

My big questions is: If we were to continue in the development of this section of the tournament, who is willing to show and who is willing to come from out of Michigan to compete? I want to make sure that it's worth it to everyone involved.

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm in Cadillac and I'd be interested in this event.

Are you looking at live stick and armor or minimum armor and padded stick.

OP
Dalum

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
2 responses this early in the morning! I dig it. :)

It will be with live stick and armor. At least that's what we were thinking of. We are still in the final parts of the planning stages but it's nowhere near set in stone. If there's a calling for headgear and padded sticks then we could switch gears. The only problem is there's no 1 proven padded stick, from what I've seen, that can put up with repeated live use.

I believe there's one from ProForce but I don't like the fact that it's not a stick and that it's more like sword. Either way, one change that we are making is that the sticks will have to be provided by the participants and will be checked in/weighed in before they can be used in the ring.

Assuming that we are staying on the same path of live stick and padding... We ask that the competitors supply their own safety gear and sticks but we will have some on hand as well to borrow in a pinch and other stuff for sale as well.

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well as far as padded sticks go, the Smak-Sticks brand did real well at the Sulong Tourney in Chicago. Century has some that DarkAvenger and I hammered on this weekend with no armor and fencing masks for eye protection and he's been using them couple times a week for full power sparring and they seem to be holding up well.

What does your school normally spar with?

darkavenger

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah ... the ActionFlex sticks from Century seem to work real nice. I've had a set for 2 weeks now and used them against WEKAF masks, fencing masks, and bare heads. They work great.

You can hit someone with them full force without damaging them, while still giving you enough positive feedback to acknowledge valid hits. It really lets you work on developing the power thats so important in your training. We've been sparring with just headgear and the ActionFlex sticks (no other armor) When it's time for live rattan we switch up Lacross gloves for the hands and fencing or WEKAF masks.

We'll see how they hold up over the next few months of banging.

I hope that everything comes together for the tourney. We need more events like this.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah ... the ActionFlex sticks from Century seem to work real nice. I've had a set for 2 weeks now and used them against WEKAF masks, fencing masks, and bare heads. They work great.

You can hit someone with them full force without damaging them, while still giving you enough positive feedback to acknowledge valid hits. It really lets you work on developing the power thats so important in your training. We've been sparring with just headgear and the ActionFlex sticks (no other armor) When it's time for live rattan we switch up Lacross gloves for the hands and fencing or WEKAF masks.

I hope that everything comes together for the tourney. We need more events like this.

I have used ActionFlex sticks almost since they started making them and I still have several of the old pairs and they see use weekly. (in other words they are pretty durable) Like you Matt and Bill we also switch to rattan and get practitioners used to the rattan with WEKAF gear and then eventually just fencing masks and gloves.
icon6.gif

OP
Dalum

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
These are all great things to consider. I'm glad you are are so open with this. My major concern is that this our first year doing this and my experience in doing new events in tournaments usualy results in stuff that people don't like. I know you can't please everyone all of the time but we will try our best!

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I left a message at your school last night. There are some questions as well as suggestions. As far as sticks go, Smak-Stiks are much better than action flex.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I left a message at your school last night. There are some questions as well as suggestions. As far as sticks go, Smak-Stiks are much better than action flex.

While Action-Flex was out and did have a good product, Ilike the changes that were made by Smak-Stik. They are more consistant form stick to stick and also seem a little more rigid without being solid to stop the wrap strike effect when one blocks. What did he say? Block a strike! Yep, I try to practice what I preach. ;)

Good luck on the event I can never tell this far out how my work schedule will be.

OP
Dalum

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score

I got your message. I'm very honored and excited that you would like to attend. I'll call you tonight so we can get some things ironed out. I'm not going to be at the studio so I'll call you from home. Can you do me a favor and leave me a PM with your number again? I'll still try to get it from the guys at our place just in case.

OP
Dalum

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well as far as padded sticks go, the Smak-Sticks brand did real well at the Sulong Tourney in Chicago. Century has some that DarkAvenger and I hammered on this weekend with no armor and fencing masks for eye protection and he's been using them couple times a week for full power sparring and they seem to be holding up well.

What does your school normally spar with?

Heh, this school I'm with now? We haven't yet. In the past (in our younger, dumber days) we use the same sticks that we build for our kids. 1/4" PVC with pipe foam wrapped in electrical tape. It seems to keep the same diameter as the sticks we use and roughly the same weight. What I mean by the younger, dumber days is we just used the sticks... That's all.

Obviously, we all know better now.

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Action flex sticks are the floppiness. Smak-stiks for the win.

OP
Dalum

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
Could you post the rules when you get them ironed out?
Thanks

Most definitely! That was my intention. We are almost ready to lay it all out. When it's ready, MartialTalk and FMATalk will be the first to know!

OP
Dalum

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
OK, we're getting close to finalizing the ruleset. I'll have a PDF to post soon! I just wanted to let everyone know that this didn't fall by the wayside.

(The holidays and car accidents will take a bit out of you :( )

Latest Discussions