Flight attendent combat

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope that people will continue to post links about these types of things--I find them most interesting. I'm not sure how much a 16-hour course will do though. It has to be continuous, reinforced training to be useful for physical responses (though lots of good general advice could and should be given).

OP
D

Despairbear

Yes I agree that a 16 hour corse will not make them the most efective combatants but I was mainly suprised by the change of mind set. The old rules held that you did what ever the hijacker wanted, now people are being taught to fight back. Perhaps this could be a signal that will resinate on threw our society and make the world a better place to live.

Despair Bear

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Delta I believe is planning on making it part of annual training--a slight improvement.

I note that with the recent use of the pilots' fireaxe to subdue a passenger attempting to break into the cockpit that we have hand-to-hand combat of the oldest type in the airways--a tool has been made into an improvised weapon and has now developed into a semi-standard weapon (since the advice to pilots to use it in this manner is now very common). Will there be fireaxe training for pilots?

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by arnisador
Delta I believe is planning on making it part of annual training--a slight improvement.

). Will there be fireaxe training for pilots?

I believe that American Airlines is just going to show old "Charlie Chan" movies where there were Tongs featured to their flight crews.

Air Jamaica is having a joint committee study this also

Gene Gabel:D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Islandtime, please tell us about MugaiRyu Iaido in the Sword Arts forum!

As to just showing movies, I hope that that doesn't turn out to be not a joke. There are plenty of private security firms with experience in CQC that could be consulted but one wonders.

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by arnisador
Islandtime, please tell us about MugaiRyu Iaido in the Sword Arts forum!

I will give a post on the sword forum real soon. I will adddress Mugai Ryu and Kuniba Ryu

As for CQB. I am with you on that. Highly trained fed marshalls or highly movivated (read trained and paid) civilian contractors and more than 1 or2 on each flight would make me feel much safer. I am all for stun-gunning the crap out of anyone making a fuss and sorting it out later.
Maybe a new division of the FAA with training similiar to FBI HRT to include law ramifications and lots of different MA.

As far as the incident over Salt Lake with guy going to the can. I feel it could have been handled much better and this probably won't happen again this way. Was this guy drunk? or did he have a prostate problem?
What is your take on this?

Gene

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by islandtime
As far as the incident over Salt Lake with guy going to the can. I feel it could have been handled much better and this probably won't happen again this way. Was this guy drunk? or did he have a prostate problem?
What is your take on this?

I agree with you on the need for serious CQC/CQB training. As for the bathroom run, I feel it probably could have been handled better but if you make an exception once, terrorists will have a way to use it against you later.

But, telling adults they can't use the restroom just doesn't seem like a valid option to me (or children). It could well have been a medical issue as you state. There needs to be a better way.

OP
D

DanRyunAndrew

Sorry if this reply offends anyone; however, can you imagine if a steward or stewardess became a high rank in MA, Grav, or somthing like EPAK?!

No more fluffed pillows and little bags of peanuts!

"Sir, would you like coffee, tea, OR A BIG CAN OF WHOOP A$$!" :rofl:

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone. I, personally, don't know any MA's who are Flight Attendant's, I'm sure many Flight Attendants don't know any Automotive Locksmiths! It's just a scene that I played through in my head.

As a side note: Ever since the events of 9/11... flying has become a more "tense" endeavor. What more valuable cargo is there than human life? I say we treat EVERY flight like a military flight! Do you really think that ANY terrorist group would try to hijack a flight with a USAF Phoenix Ravens, Navy SEAL, etc., unit onboard?!

NOT! :D

Respectfully,

Andy

:soapbox: OOPS! Soory! He He He

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hrm...I just read the info about the book. Being that it's written by former Israeli counterterrorist folks, it might be a good thing. I'm half-tempted to pick it up to see what it's about.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"CITIZEN’S GUIDE TO STOPPING SUICIDE ATTACKERS" sounds overstated to me, but you're right--he probably knows what he's talking about. Let us know what you think about it if you do get it.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes I agree that a 16 hour corse will not make them the most efective combatants but I was mainly suprised by the change of mind set.
It's the change in mindset that will make the biggest difference. Hopefully, the 16 hour course will interest some of the flight crew enough to continue the training seriously. With the hectic schedules that flight crews have to work, though, training would be hard to work in on a regular basis. The upside, however, is that those on international flights would have a great opportunity to train all over the world during layovers.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've wondered why someone doesn't set up a self-defense shop in a big airport. They have room for a Godiva's chocolate shop--shop, not just a cart--why not a self-defense studio where flight attendants and all could stop in, train for half an hour, then go about their business?

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see it now (unfortunately)....Bob's McDojo making a killing in the airport, making attendants believe that they can wh00p some bum. *gasp*

OP
B

Black Bear

In general, Americans aren't going to respond to hijacking the same way anymore. The old doctrine of sitting quietly and going along for a free flight to Cuba made sense at the time, no one thought that they'd deliberately crash the plane. Now on any given plane folks know they have nothing to lose and a few people are just going to pull up the courage and murder those guys.

I like the idea of pilots armed with pistols with frangible ammo. When it was first explained to me, I thought it was brilliant. Does anyone have that email that used to go around on the topic?

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A former student of mine contacted me the other day, she is a pilot for one of the major carriers, anyway she told me of some incident on one of her flights where the training she received from me came in handy. That's always good to hear:D .

Now she wanted to schedule somemore training time the next time she has time off. In regards to the gun issue with pilots, it's interesting from her point of view that most pilots in here opinion shouldn't be allowed to carry handguns on board. She would always say......you should see some of these guys(read between the lines):eek:

Latest Discussions