Fl. Lawmaker Tries To Bring Back Firing Squad

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44889145/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

TALLAHASSEE, Florida — Saying it's time to stop letting convicted killers "get off that easy," a Florida state lawmaker wants to use firing squads or the electric chair for those on death row.

Rep. Brad Drake filed a bill this week that would end the use of lethal injection in Florida executions.
Instead, those with a death sentence would choose between electrocution or a firing squad.
Drake, a Republican, said the idea came to him after having a conversation with a constituent at a Waffle House over the legal battles associated with last month's execution of Manuel Valle .
Valle's lawyers tried to stop the execution by arguing that a new lethal drug cocktail would cause him pain and constitute cruel and unusual punishment.
Drake said in a news release sent to the media that the bill was filed to "end the debate" over what drugs to use.

Thoughts?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since we are supposed to Reduce Reuse and Recycle...
Bring back hanging, you can use a rope over and over.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The firing squad must use bow or cross bow, since you can reuse the arrows. I'm all for it.
Hanging works too, but you have to get the knot just right and compensate for the weight for a clean break. If not, you risk either decapitation or an airdance.

What? :D

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doesn't Utah still have a firing squad?

As far as resuse of bolts from a crossbow or la guillotine... somewhere out there, there'd be somebody screaming about it being contaminated & possibly infecting the condemned with something nasty if they didn't die right away making it inhumane & cruel.

Personally... if I don't die right away from a trip to the guillotine, I don't wanna know about it!!!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Naw, you dip them in bleach before firing. Nice and sanitary. Can even go with flaming tips to cauterize the wound. ;)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doesn't Utah still have a firing squad?

As far as resuse of bolts from a crossbow or la guillotine... somewhere out there, there'd be somebody screaming about it being contaminated & possibly infecting the condemned with something nasty if they didn't die right away making it inhumane & cruel.

Personally... if I don't die right away from a trip to the guillotine, I don't wanna know about it!!!
I just read something about elephants used to be used to crush people to death, back in the day...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nah, I think the Nazi's and Soviet Communists had it right... sudden 9mm brain hemorrhage, quick easy and inexpensive.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shoot them, stab them, let them bleed out, doesnt matter to me, but for craps sake, cut out the 20 years of appeals

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:s475: It's in there (have to use advanced editor, then side bar, then 'more' because vBulletin "fixed" things.)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
shoot them, stab them, let them bleed out, doesnt matter to me, but for craps sake, cut out the 20 years of appeals

QFT!!!!! Couldn't agree more with this statement!!

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Risk of malfunction resulting in a crueler punishment than intended is one of the reasons state executions went toward lethal injection. The FL Congressman in question apparently has forgotten the neat little "Sparky" incident that ended the use of the electric chair in the first place...essentially, some malfunction in the chair caused it to set on fire, burning the guy to death in a most gruesome fashion. Bob also alluded to a similar problem with hanging: tie the rope wrong or whatever, and the result wont be the clean break intended, but a slow suffocation.

Yeah, I know, most everyone in this thread could care less and thinks hey, more torment the better. But thems the reasons. Me personally, I wouldn't mind the firing squad, assuming said squad was trained well enough to insure quick death. Seems it would be cheaper than the lethal injection method too. All this, of course, with the caveat that I'm still against the death penalty until we can guarantee 100% accuracy in convictions.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about we just drop them head first off the highest readily available structure? Base jumping for the condemned! We could bet on the radius of the splat and/or the number of bounces.

Latest Discussions