First Compotition!

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure there are many threads about this already but i'm posting a new one anyway. I've got a compotition coming up soon and i'm quite sure i'll be ponded to a pulp. Advice?:whip:

OP
Whitebelt

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tae kwon do, by the way I'm taller than all the other yellowbelts.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Relax, remember to breathe and stop being sure you're gonna get pounded to a pulp. Get in as much sparring practice as you can between now and the time of the tourney and most importantly....have fun! Competition is as much about learning from your opponent by being able to spar someone you wouldn't normally get the chance to spar with as anything else. Best of luck and let us know how it goes for you.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm always reminded of the first Karate Kid when Daniel asks if Mr. Miyagi if can tell him anything helpful about the tournament, "Hai, no get hit..."

Seriously though, as has been said, have fun, competition at the lower ranks is usually controlled contact and should be more about learning and having fun than going out an killing your opponent.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will probably be matched with a white-green belt of similar weight, and about the same level of sparring. When this level is not available you will probably do a demo match with a higher belt. The higher belt will be usually be cautioned to use control. This is for experience and fun, not to get "pounded". That comes later when you are a red belt! Have fun! TW

N

nekoTKD

Good luck with the competition. I remember my first... not that long ago actually, lol... I was quite nervous at the start, but I noticed that everyone else in my group was too. I think once you actually start sparring it all drops off. I wasn't even aware of the crowd around me.. just my opponent, and occasionally the center ref calling things out. It was a blast and I ended up placing, so it did wonders for my motivation.

Again, good luck with it, and I'm sure you'll do fine!

Latest Discussions