First American Martial Arts

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an idea which martial art was the first homegrown American martial art but I'm intriqued to hear about other American Martial Arts.

So I can date Kajukenbo back to 1947. Any others out there?

Who knows the dates of the creation of the other American martial arts?

M

MartialArtist

Native American arts are very old in America.

Do you mean after 1776?

Y

yilisifu

I think we might want to define what we mean by "martial arts" before we go much further.

If we are talking about an organized system of techniques used in combat, that's not necessarily what one would call a "martial ART."......

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm interested in actual martial arts that are taught as martial arts such as Karate, Ju Jitsu and Gung-Fu. But if you've got something interesting, post it.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
Native American arts are very old in America.

Do you mean after 1776?

Interesting post. Do you know of any Native American martial arts? I'd like to learn about it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
How about Patton's cavalry saber? He redesigned the existing cavalry saber and gave instruction on how to use the point instead of the slash in charging the opponent. Not revolutionary, but written by an American for use by our armed forces. A book published by the US War Department was published in 1914, the author was then 2nd Lt. George S. Patton.

Lamont

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Blindside
How about Patton's cavalry saber? He redesigned the existing cavalry saber and gave instruction on how to use the point instead of the slash in charging the opponent. Not revolutionary, but written by an American for use by our armed forces. A book published by the US War Department was published in 1914, the author was then 2nd Lt. George S. Patton.

Lamont

I don't know if it was a just a fighting system or an actual martial art.

Could someone please enlighten us on how to determine an actual martial art?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well here is an off the cuff definition:

Skill at the methods of war/combat.

To me, a fighting system is a martial art, I don't differentiate between the two.

Lamont

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about a list of homegrown American martial arts? If you have dates, all the Better.

1) Kajukenbo
2)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
American kenpo goes to '54. However it's odd that the gentleman who started Kajukenbo and Mr. Parker who founded american kenpo came from the same school with Mr. Chow. However I thought AK came first. :idunno: I guess this can go back to the chicken and the egg thing.

S

sweeper

it realy depends on what you consider to be a martial art, is it in the end result or the training method?

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by karatekid1975
Interesting post. Do you know of any Native American martial arts? I'd like to learn about it.
I don't know of any specifically, but I do know the Iroquois had their own fighting system, and I'm pretty sure the Crow did as well. There is a thead about this in the Western Martial Arts section, but I don't know how informative it will be.

To me, a martial art is a combat system. It can have a philosophical and/or mental focus/concentration/control part to it. Most martial arts do have a philosophical or a mental aspect to it. I'm guessing the American fighting systems did have a spiritual tie with Animism and such.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
American kenpo goes to '54. However it's odd that the gentleman who started Kajukenbo and Mr. Parker who founded american kenpo came from the same school with Mr. Chow. However I thought AK came first. :idunno: I guess this can go back to the chicken and the egg thing.

Sijo Adriano Emperado was a 5th degree under William Chow when he created Kajukenbo (he fouded Kaju along with 4 others, it is Sijo who is credited with nurturing Kajukenbo through the years to what it is today) from 1947 to 1949. The date you referred to was actually the date that Ed Parker earned his Shodan, I think it was 1953 or '54.

It was sijo Emperado who promoted Grandmaster Parker to 8th dergree. See thread:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7782

Its some good reading. :asian:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
How about a list of homegrown American martial arts? If you have dates, all the Better.

OK, now define "American." :p Do you mean North American continent, something founded after US independence, or something else entirely. You can't get a good answer without a specific question.

Lamont

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, now define "American." :p Do you mean North American continent, something founded after US independence, or something else entirely. You can't get a good answer without a specific question.

Lamont

I was thinking along the lines of martial arts that "are" being taught in the USA, have been created in the USA and have withstood the test of time.

So the new systems of late, would not qualify.

We have:

1) Kajukenbo
2) American Kenpo
3) ......

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.R.K.
What is the time span of 'the test of time'?

:asian:

Hard to say, maybe 30 years?

This is my opinion only and is open to be disputed.

I think 30 years is good indication that a system has some substance. I think that 10 years is not a long time at all and 20 years a system is becoming possibly note worthy in the sense its still exists.

I was going to leave Jun Fan Gung-Fu/Jeet Kune Do out but since I've put anumber of years out there I'm going to put my Sensei and Sifus system that fit the bill.

1) Kajukenbo
2) American Kenpo
3) Jun Fan Gung-Fu
4) Macias Gung-Fu (Macias Method of Jun Fan Gung-Fu)
5) Bushido Kempo
6) Tenshi Goju
7) Budoshin Ju-Jitsu

NOTE: Tenshi Goju can be argued whether it is American or not. But it was founded by an American and is recognized by his Sensei and with his blessings and I beleive has no connections today with Asia at all. The same goes for Budoshin Ju-Jitsu.

:asian:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
How about Fairbairn's WW2 Combatives? Though you could debate the early portion was started in Shanghai....

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about Fairbairn's WW2 Combatives? Though you could debate the early portion was started in Shanghai....

I've never heard of it. Is it an art that is being or was taught?

If you can verify thats it was or is considered an art thats withstood the test of time, then add it.

I'm interested in hearing about other newer arts too. maybe we can make a couple of lists and categorize them?

haumana2000

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are incorporating Kajukenbo which had it's inception in Hawai'i's Palama Settlement, then you would have to give the Organized "Martial Art" (an organized system) award to Kui'alua. Which was brought to the Islands by it's Polynesian inhabitants, waaay before anybody else pulled in looking for a night at the tiki bar, and a couple of honolulu hookers. Also known as "Lua" it is made up of several compenents from boxing, to wrestling, to weapons usage in established "halau" schools.

Latest Discussions