Finger Set

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93 & Dot

I've been wondering how fast one is suppose to go through the finger set # 1.

I've thought it's as fast as kicking set which I was shown to do at a walking pace. I like the idea of finger set and I can see where one would think it's "hokey".

So how fast does one do these sets or does it really matter?:asian:

In the beginning, you try to learn the basic outline of the form. Then you start to put the definitions or accents in place. The "base" speed for the finger set is as a striking set. Each strike (finger movement) is an independent action and should be delivered as such. Now..... you "can" do it for speed and if you follow the "equation formula" [which you should know and understand] you will see that speed is an option to explore as well as other variations for different skills.

Kicking set is the same as well as all forms, sets and for that matter techniques.

Come on guys...... common sense & Logic..... remember those?

:asian:

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

No evil one! There can only be ONE way to do all the techniques!!! None of your vile "logic." ;-)

Quite frankly they do just fine with it. Admittedly they do it at a beginner level, but that smooths out and the transitions get better as they get more experienced, just like any other form/set. At that level it is taught as an introduction to handweapons. By blue/green belts the practitioners have already learned and used virtually all of these handweapons in a technique, so it seemed sort of silly to have a set designed to teach them items that they already knew.

It works for us,

Lamont

Cool!

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan

No evil one! There can only be ONE way to do all the techniques!!! None of your vile "logic." ;-)

OK, Dennis...we'll take turns! I'll hold him down and YOU pummel him and it's MY turn!:EG:

BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

OP
K

KenpoGirl

D'uh... Gee Dennis what's that???? :rolleyes:

Hell, I only learn the set last week, I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. I was just making conversation. :D

When it doesn't take me 5 minutes just to go through the darn thing, THAT'S when I'll concentrate on the speed. I had just gone though a class learning the set, so I wanted to vent a little.

:eek: Come to think of it. When it doesn't take me 5 minutes or more to do ANY of the forms and set competently THEN I'll worry how to make it look pretty ... (oops they'll hate that) ... I mean powerful and strong and ... pretty. ;)

Thank you to everyone for your input. :kiss:

Dot

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by KENPOJOE

GOLD STAR FOR DOT!!

I GOT A GOLD STAR, I GOT A GOLD STAR. !!! :boing1: :boing1: :boing1:

Thanks for the help Joe. I appreciate the help.
I'll even forgive you for calling me a slut. LMAO ;)

Dot

btw Joe, per out "im" conversation, the part I'm having trouble getting through is ....

13. Execute a right hand crane finger-whip to your attacker's eyes as your left hand checks at the groin.

14. Execute a left hand crane finger-whip to your attacker's eyes as your right hand checks at the groin.

15. Execute a right hand crane finger-whip from your right hip into your attacker's groin as your left hand checks at your groin.

16. Execute a left hand crane finger-whip from your left hip into your attacker's groin as your right hand check at your groin.

Crain Finger-whip, that's what I was trying to describe and doing a horrible job at. :shrug: :D This that section the right hand and the left hand can't figure out what each other are doing. I'm probably doing an excellent impressonation of one of the stooges while I'm doing it. ;)

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Seig

Try watching them again, they were masters of motion......

www.geocities.com/bambamhunter Check out the masters of motion in some kenpo action!!!!! I should have prints available in a week or two...my site needs some heavy work i had some crash issues a month or so ago!! But the stooges stood firm!

OP
J

jeffkyle

In the beginning, you try to learn the basic outline of the form. Then you start to put the definitions or accents in place. The "base" speed for the finger set is as a striking set. Each strike (finger movement) is an independent action and should be delivered as such. Now..... you "can" do it for speed and if you follow the "equation formula" [which you should know and understand] you will see that speed is an option to explore as well as other variations for different skills.

Kicking set is the same as well as all forms, sets and for that matter techniques.

Ok so i am not as wordy as you! But i basically said the same thing! :)

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by jeffkyle

Ok so i am not as wordy as you! But i basically said the same thing! :)

:eek: :rofl:

You call that wordy??? Don't get him started, he probably could write a book on the subject. :D

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by KenpoGirl

:eek: :rofl:

You call that wordy??? Don't get him started, he probably could write a book on the subject. :D

He isn't the only one! :):D

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl

I GOT A GOLD STAR, I GOT A GOLD STAR. !!! :boing1: :boing1: :boing1:

Thanks for the help Joe. I appreciate the help.
I'll even forgive you for calling me a slut. LMAO ;)

Dot

btw Joe, per out "im" conversation, the part I'm having trouble getting through is ....

13. Execute a right hand crane finger-whip to your attacker's eyes as your left hand checks at the groin.

14. Execute a left hand crane finger-whip to your attacker's eyes as your right hand checks at the groin.

15. Execute a right hand crane finger-whip from your right hip into your attacker's groin as your left hand checks at your groin.

16. Execute a left hand crane finger-whip from your left hip into your attacker's groin as your right hand check at your groin.

Crain Finger-whip, that's what I was trying to describe and doing a horrible job at. :shrug: :D This that section the right hand and the left hand can't figure out what each other are doing. I'm probably doing an excellent impressonation of one of the stooges while I'm doing it. ;)

Ok,Dot,when I finally meet you i'll stick that gold star on your forehead for all the world to see!

the overhead and underhand finger whips are used in conjunction with a "push down block" checking hand as you cock the striking hand in a "shape of the crane" position, you then torque your wrist so that the back of your hand is facing your opponent and your wrists flexes forward so that your index and middle finger strike outward toward your opponent in a whipping action [preferably into his eye ball] you then turn your hand so there is a built in slicing action and then grabbing action to rip/pluck the eyeball out as you return to the shape of the crane position--but that's a kenpo secret! print this post up then eat it!--not the eyeball!] you normally don't do the slicing and/or plucking action but Mr. Parker did show it to me because he knew I liked the "gruesome" stuff!
as you transition to the left side of the same set [6a & b] you utilize the "double factor" by opening the right shape of the crane hand into a right inward circular parry so that it ends up in the right "push down Block" position circles outward and up into the cocked left "shape of the crane" position. you then repeat the whipping action with the left hand.
In application, you would use the checking hand to push down your opponent's arm as you execute the finger whips
you would then do the same with the underhand whips to the groin area wth the underhand actions.
there you go,Dot! now be a nice girl and practice your finger set and await my upcoming video tape on this wonderful set!!
if you're a good girl, you'll get snacks!!
:D
I hope that I was of some service:asian:
KENPOJOE
www.rebeloskenpokarate.com
http://members.aol.com/KENPOJOE/
:::Getting off my soapbox now::::soapbox:

OP
B

brianhunter

Ok,Dot,when I finally meet you i'll stick that gold star on your forehead for all the world to see!

the overhead and underhand finger whips are used in conjunction with a "push down block" checking hand as you cock the striking hand in a "shape of the crane" position, you then torque your wrist so that the back of your hand is facing your opponent and your wrists flexes forward so that your index and middle finger strike outward toward your opponent in a whipping action [preferably into his eye ball] you then turn your hand so there is a built in slicing action and then grabbing action to rip/pluck the eyeball out as you return to the shape of the crane position--but that's a kenpo secret! print this post up then eat it!--not the eyeball!] you normally don't do the slicing and/or plucking action but Mr. Parker did show it to me because he knew I liked the "gruesome" stuff!
as you transition to the left side of the same set [6a & b] you utilize the "double factor" by opening the right shape of the crane hand into a right inward circular parry so that it ends up in the right "push down Block" position circles outward and up into the cocked left "shape of the crane" position. you then repeat the whipping action with the left hand.
In application, you would use the checking hand to push down your opponent's arm as you execute the finger whips
you would then do the same with the underhand whips to the groin area wth the underhand actions.
there you go,Dot! now be a nice girl and practice your finger set and await my upcoming video tape on this wonderful set!!
if you're a good girl, you'll get snacks!!
:D
I hope that I was of some service:asian:
KENPOJOE
www.rebeloskenpokarate.com
http://members.aol.com/KENPOJOE/
:::Getting off my soapbox now::::soapbox:

Geeeee Dot thats more then I got out of Joe in a whole evening in a chat room!!! You must be special!!:rofl:

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by brianhunter

Geeeee Dot thats more then I got out of Joe in a whole evening in a chat room!!! You must be special!!:rofl:

I understand how you feel brian...I had the same thing happen to me...and even last night! ;)

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Well you know, when yah got it yah got it. :cool:

Actually I think it's more like, he realises how much help I need and is taking pitty on me. ;)

BTW thanks Joe, I appreciate the insight. See what I can do with it.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Just to reinforce what Mr. Hunter wrote, I find it helps to a) keep the right elbow positioned directly over the middle of your flattened left hand when you do the right whip, the left elbow over the middle of the right hand next, and the bunched fingers centered in the palms on the low whips; b) start all the whips with the fingers bunched together at the tips; c) move your elbows as little as possible, "rolling" your wrist instead.

Thanks.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score

What Brian doesn't tell you is that I was in the middle of another Martial arts chatroom and 3 Ims!!!!!

But, i'll tell you what! you contact me with a date you want to talk in advance, and i'll clear my calender and talk to you in detail!
Thanks!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle

I understand how you feel brian...I had the same thing happen to me...and even last night! ;)

Gee, did i mention that Jeff was there too?
Same offer made to you as well,Jeff!

BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

OP
J

jeffkyle

BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

Just haggling you Joe! Thanks for the invite! :) We will try it again sometime, I am sure! :D

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

Is this open others as well? We touched only on a slight bit of long 4. Just curious.