finger exercise

G

Grasshoppah

I remember back in the early 80's I think it was 84 I walked into an old ED PARKER Kempo school I think it was in Century City in LA. Anyway they were warming up and they started doing finger exercises, all they were doing was moving their fingers around they had their arms extended but just their fingers moved. Do you guys still do this exercise? In this manner?:shrug:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Grasshoppah
I remember back in the early 80's I think it was 84 I walked into an old ED PARKER Kempo school I think it was in Century City in LA. Anyway they were warming up and they started doing finger exercises, all they were doing was moving their fingers around they had their arms extended but just their fingers moved. Do you guys still do this exercise? In this manner?:shrug:
If its the same finger excercises we do, your forarms start burning as you pulse your fingers back and fourth and by the time you are done your arms hurt worse than you ever thought possible.
Sean

OP
G

Grasshoppah

If your forearms start to burn then your doing something right!
at least you still exercise this, is there anyone else that does any different?

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by Ender
pull my finger.....

:rofl: :rofl:

We sometimes do that finger excercise. I like it. Helps keep the hands nice and loose and as already mentioned a good arm workout as well.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

We do this same drill, and change arms from front to the sides to upwards and downwards, and yes, forearms burn afterwards :)

OP
G

Grasshoppah

Ender and KempoAl after pulling each others fingers no more giggling huh:asian:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Grasshoppah
If your forearms start to burn then your doing something right!

You might want to ask a physiotherapist or doctor about the 'merits' of doing an exercise 'till your muscles burn.

The burning sensation is caused by a build up of Lactic Acid in the muscles. This is created by a lack of oxygen in the blood flowing through the muscles, and you are burning sugar to compensate (glycolytic fermentation).

The more Lactic Acid you have in your muscles, the less they are able to function normally.

Yes, after doing this exercise, your limbs will feel 'light and fast'.

This is because an enzyme in the bloodstream (Lactate Dehydrogenase, known as LDH) converts the Lactic Acid into Pyruvate, which in turn is used up in Aerobic activity, or converted to Glucose.

Ideally, the body should maintain a 7.4-pH level where there is balance between acid and alkaline in the muscles. When muscles are fatigued, the lactic acid level rises too high. If the exercise continues, the muscles clog with acid and no longer are benefiting from the workout.

So, IMHO, the exercise is simply a trick to make you think you are developing faster handwork. (Which you might be, for all of 2 minutes)

However, if your instructor is regularly running this exercise, I'm sure he is also using a Lactate Analyzer, a hand held device that pricks the finger and then instantly analyzes the lactic acid build up.

Remember, there is more to training safely than wearing pads, and it is important to ensure proper and safe training methods :soapbox:

Les

PS
Next week class, we'll look at the good and bad points of ballistic stretching :)

OP
K

Kenpomachine

As you said, lactic acid can be turned again into pyruvate if you cool down properly.

That's the reason not to stop suddenly after doing anaerobic exercise.

But this finger exercise is not exactly about finger stretching, at least how we do it.

Latest Discussions