Fighting sticks

morgan8311

White Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in escrima but the general sticks are too long for my liking. Is there any other term for shorter sticks or stick fighting? (around 20 inch long) Thank you

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in escrima but the general sticks are too long for my liking. Is there any other term for shorter sticks or stick fighting? (around 20 inch long) Thank you
The length of the sticks shouldn't be a concern when training Eskrima. Each system will have a standard length and some systems use sticks of different lengths for different purposes. Ultimately though you should be able to pick up any stick like object and use it effectively, don't get caught up on size of the weapon. Proper movement is more important. Your first priority however should be to get proper instruction. Without proper instruction you will never be able to become a skilled Eskrimadore. Use the length of stick your instructor recommends.

But if you just want to screw around and want short sticks, buy whatever and cut it to the size of your liking. Some arts call shorter sticks "Serrada" sticks. However that term can be confusing and can have multiple interpretations and uses. There is a system called Serrada, other systems just use the term Serrada to imply close range work. The system Serrada does tend to use shorter sticks but not always.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are numerous Escrima, Arnis, Kali systems and numerous weapon lengths. That said the 28" stick seems to be the most popular. The thing is when trained properly most FMA systems training methods provide training that allows most anything one can hold becomes a weapon. If you can find an Cabales Serrada players they use short sticks.

Latest Discussions