Fighter in the wind-Movie

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone seen the "Fighter in the Wind" Movie promo's on Youtube. It is supposed to be about the young Mas Oyama. Sonny Chiba did almost the same movie in Bullfighter. This new one looks like a great karate action movie, but I am not sure if it is only being released in Japan.

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Both Fighter in the Wind and the older Karate Bull/Bear Fighter/For Life movies are based on the Manga called Karate Baka Ichidai .

So it is based on Oyama's life but only very loosely as the Manga embellished alot of his true story.

Osu!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's quite a stunning looking film -- it took some doing, but some months ago I found a version of it with English subtitles. If I can remember where I ordered it, I'll post later.

OP
twendkata71

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well according to people that I have talked to that live in Japan and Okinawa. He was a very popular figure in Japan, even though he was actually Korean. There are several Kyokushikai schools on Okinawa. So, I imagine it will do quite well. I have also heard that he movie Kuro Obi is doing well, which is another karate film in Japan that looks interesting.

OP
twendkata71

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Another interesting fact about this movie is that the original movie(Sonny Chiba), Chiba(Japanese) was a student of Oyama Hanshi's .
The new one the actor is actually Korean, like the peson he is playing.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
No I have not .. but I will look into it.
please let me know when it comes out !!

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Amazon.com offers it as well. When I checked, it was out of stock, but you can still order it.

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
Fighter in the wind has been released with a english subtitle. You can order it from amazon.co.uk It is a OK movie, but not only it is based on a manga based on Oyamas life. It is also colored by korean anti-japanese feelings. It gets old after a while.

OP
twendkata71

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had not seen that much of the movie. The original movie with chiba was sort of like that. As far as the Korean antiJapanese element. Can't really blame the Koreans. The Japanese ruled over their country for 30 years and terrorised them, tried to destroy their culture, language, martial arts, and took many of their young men to Japan to make them assimilate into the Japanese culture, eventhough they would always be treated like second class citizens because they were not "pure Japanese". This type of sentiment is still evident in Japan even today. Whats funny is that there are Taekwondo schools in Japan and Karate,Judo and Aikido schools in Korea. Another funny fact is that the world headquarters for Judo is no longer in Japan ,its in Korea at least , as far as the IOC and International Judo is considered.

Latest Discussions