Fight Quest

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm almost certain the idea of chest protection is new.

Ok if that is the case then why not have head gear and use head shot while sparring. I know we probaly need someone who really does this to answer but it is a good converstation piece.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Ok if that is the case then why not have head gear and use head shot while sparring. I know we probaly need someone who really does this to answer but it is a good converstation piece.

Well, *between you and I* I would have no problem with it. But without someone representative here to answer the question of why, there may be another reason we don't know.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay,

Having been to a few of Pak Herman's Seminars and one of Ibu Rita's several Years ago.. I too was a bit intrigued w/ the sparring session. It looked like average "KARATE POINT SPARRING" to me w/ just take downs.

Mande Muda having a strong base in Harrimau it was odd we just didn't see it.

I enjoyed the show in general. Again only us who have met and trained under Pa Herman or Ibu Rita know the truth...

On the real though as martial arts are concerned im really glad that these shows are being aired..

I just caught the Japanese Kyukoshin Karate one this afternoon and I was really impressed on the toughness of these KARATE GUYS.. I was like WOW!! TOUGH SOB's....

jeff5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do enjoy the show, as I did Human Weapon, but I can't help but be disappointed by the episodes. (I disliked the Human Weapon Silat episode as well)

I had high hopes, West Java, the Suwandas. I'm sure both Rita and Dadang are extremely skilled Silat players. In the beginning Dadang showed some pretty good techinques, and Rita was beating the other guy up pretty well and so I was like yeah this one will be good.

But then it went down hill. Very little Silat, or what I've learned as Silat, was actually shown. The sparring....well I just have issues with any art that spars but allows no head contact. It develops tremendously bad, and dangerous, habits, should you ever get into a real conflict. If protection is an issue then use some MMA gloves and put some head protection on and take of the horrible chest protectors.

Overall, very poor representation of what Silat actually is.

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello
I am in agreement as to the overall sentiments. As stated earlier, North South Productions expressly wanted a full contact sparring session as the prime focus for the climactic end of the program. Also noted earlier, is the fact that they get 40-60 hours of recorded training. The limitation on these shows is that the production companies firmly believe that what the public wants to see is an MMA style full contact contest. Anyone that trains in silat ,especially the Suwanda Family system, knows there is much , much more than sparring in the system. Those who trained with Pak Herman certainly understand he did not like the modern IPSI method of silat and it's competitions, which he believed were not consistent with how silat is really used in combat. The "no head/neck /eye contact" rule is a perfect example. Ibu Rita and Pak Dadang have never taught us the IPSI method , but I understand they do also teach the method because it keeps things cool with the govt. The method of sparring shown was the official IPSI / modern sport silat method. I don't think many in the USA that trained in traditional silat( or other sparring arts like Muay Thai) would be overly enthusiastic about this method. What can we say? It's the IPSI method ! If someone wants to see sparring as it is done in the Indonesian IPSI style competitions, that is what they'll see. That's the reason the Suwandas prefer to teach the Suwanda Family System rather than the IPSI program.The 1 hour program has to allow for about 10 min of sparring ,commercial breaks and then the sessions of expressed musings and conversation between the hosts regarding their training. Subtract that and there are not a whole lot of minutes to devote expressly to the training sessions and their material content. If the goal is to focus on the training that moved them toward sparring , that really limits how much you will see. In watching the show , it's apparent the hosts were exposed to a little counter knife work, karambit training sets, kuku macan vs tongkat drills and debus. Its hard to say what else was left on the cutting room floor for the sake of full contact sparring. On You Tube yesterday, I came across a little work on Pa Monyet and Pa Macan that they did......again, it was never in the televised program. Clearly , North South got plenty of footage on what is more traditional pencak silat. They just have a formula that they are not likely to divert from merely to show the other aspects of a given martial art. Personally, I think the art of Pencak Silat could have been showcased much more effectively using a different formula , but that was not the ultimate concern or goal of "Fight Quest".
In some ways, I think it still got pencak silat "out there " but I already expected the focus on IPSI style sparring might be disappointing, especially to all the Pencak Silat Mande Muda practitioners here. I think some will be displeased that it may be misunderstood that this IPSI sparring is the overall experience and nature of Pencak Silat Mande Muda or Pencak Silat in general. However, that is what Fight Quest wanted. If PSMM and the Suwandas had control over the program, I'm sure the final product might have been more satisfying to the silat enthusiasts here.
With Respect,
Doc

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are all the video clips just in case you missed it!

[yt]pXbU4-FeXmE&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]kpCMpPB71pg&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]O_e4UOF1-_A&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]kFwiyFct39g&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]N221xmViLCA&feature=related[/yt]

Latest Discussions