Fencing and Escrima.

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
I know Filipino stickfighting (and the Venezuelan stick fighting system, Garrote Larense) has been heavily influenced by Spanish fencing, but does anyone know exactly what fencing techniques and concepts have been adopted into the Filipino stickfighting systems?

Cinco Teros is very simlar to saber.

Tim

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't find it...but escrime and escrima probably have the same Latin root. Anybody know it?

Regards,

SCS

"Speaking of fencing and escrima, I note that escrime is the French term for fencing.

Now that's wild! Hmm, has there ever been a French takeover
of the Phillipines?

NO, escrima or eskrima in bisaya is a spanish word so the similarities are in the spanish word escrima and the french escrime
there is notthing to do with the french language and a French takeover because there was no such takeover........"

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
On a Balitawak International website, Atillo has it in his Balitawak lineage that Bk players were previously in Doce Pares and that the name was out of respect for a French prisoner who taught/trained with one of the Saavredo (sp?) brothers while they were serving sentences together.

I have also heard it mentioned that the general trend is that the southern island arts are more euro influenced and the northern island arts are more influenced by muslim, indiginous and eastern influence. Does anyone know of this theory or see any trends that might give it credence?

Paul Martin

K

krys

Now that's wild! Hmm, has there ever been a French takeover
of the Phillipines?

They tried in 1844-1845 to capture the Island of Basilan but were defeated....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by loki09789
On a Balitawak International website, Atillo has it in his Balitawak lineage that Bk players were previously in Doce Pares and that the name was out of respect for a French prisoner who taught/trained with one of the Saavredo (sp?) brothers while they were serving sentences together.

I have also heard it mentioned that the general trend is that the southern island arts are more euro influenced and the northern island arts are more influenced by muslim, indiginous and eastern influence. Does anyone know of this theory or see any trends that might give it credence?

Paul Martin

Paul M,

I do not know about your statment. I would find it hard to believe that the north was more influenced by Muslims or those that follow the belief of Islam. I thought the southern Islands were the area of the highest population density of the Islam Religion.

Curious to hear if anyone has any data though :)

:asian:

K

krys

The Southern Islands have by far the most densily muslim population....
Some muslims migrated to Luzon in the last thirty years to escape the war in the South that's why there are some small communities in Manila, Baguio...

The muslim escrima system I know is very different from the Visayan - Luzon systems...
Footwork has little in common.....
muslims also practice silat and other less known martial arts.

Given that filipino muslims are very secretive regarding their martial arts (even between themselves), I can hardly imagine them influencing the fighting arts of the christian populations.

There were huge christian migrations to Mindanao in the 50's, mostly from Panay and the Visayas.... therefore many systems from those Islands should be found in Mindanao.

Mabuhay ang filipino silat at Arnis.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those who helped me with my PI influence comment, thanks for the update. I read it on the Escrima DIgest years ago and thought it made sense, but thanks for the details. Also the spelling corrections will come in handy too.

What is the major distinction between muslim practiced arts and other arts in FMA? Is there more 'spirit' or mental instruction because of the connection to the Islamic faith? The little I have seen of Silat/Kun Tao arts seem to be very 'intense'.

Paul Martin

K

krys

There is a lot of mental instruction in Silat, Kuntao Silat, and Kuntao... Internal training is very important for those arts... it is influenced by islamic faith (suffism) but is also strongly connected to pre-islamic beliefs...
There are few islamic fundamentalists in the Philippines and filipino muslims have their own interpretation of Islam......

I didn't see any spiritual training in muslim escrima or muslim combat judo ..... blades are the tools of training (bolos already used on coco nuts) and sticks are rarely seen....

Actually filipino muslims seem to have different arts for different weapons: the art of the knive, the art of the bolo, how to use of the rope, how to use the spear.... Footwork is very different from all I've seen in christian systems... they have the victory pattern footwork and much more based on different geometric forms and a different way to move....

It is very hard to get informations on their martial arts as they are very secretive even between themselves, peoples won't usually admit they know martial arts even to their close friends (In my case it took five years)....

Hope that helps.

Latest Discussions