Feelin' down...and a little advice?

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In response to Brocklee; a true Wing Tsun man never powers (ie; the bicep & the tricep working against one another)through,in the real school of Wing Tsun you have to understand "preserving the gravity of the trunk" this is achieved through the repetitive wall bag exercises,if your shoulders move back when your punch is delivered,you are pushing (forcing your punch) if you have to reach you are commiting and not preserving the gravity of the trunk.
Over time by smacking the wallbag will you develop smackdown power similar to a whip (that is why it is most important to relax,in time you will develop a springy muscle) add the turnstile effect,straightline attack,and there you go. Call/ask any practitioner of The Wing Tsun system and he will probably give you an explanation,or you can buy the books,but as a good student knows there is nothing like real instruction,the books only aid in explaining theory.Do some homework,Or find a real school.For the other fellow don't give up!persevere! Find a real Wing Tsun school,go online.Someday.......

No thanks. I've been a student of LT before and am happy to have gotten out. I don't think this is the appropriate thread to discuss which is better or why. Also, it tends to become an uphill battle discussing this with a WT student, so it isn't even worth talking about. I've already done my homework and have found a real kuen.

and wall bags are used to control structure ;)

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK what exactly is it that you study? What have you learned? Besides structure the wall bag is for the development of smack or whip punch power,
get hit by an advanced student and you will see what I am talking about.
Did you ever spar with any of the advance students? Just curious? I'm just trying to remind the people in this part of the form,the Wing Chun forum that we are discussing Wing Chun,That is all.This I not a pissing contest between
me or anyone else.I did read the rules,and I am not here to discredit anyones style or Sifu.I would pay the same respect to your or anyones Sifu or Instructor and that is the truth. With respect to WING CHUN and other MARTIAL ARTISTS.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
I read your profile.Just my opinion,you might have benefited from the Ting system maybe not.You rule, you're the expert,I'm the Idiot,I know nothing at all about martial arts.Meanwhile I will continue to train and train and train.
I'm just curious,how old are you and how long have you been training?What style?

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I read your profile.Just my opinion,you might have benefited from the Ting system maybe not.You rule, you're the expert,I'm the Idiot,I know nothing at all about martial arts.Meanwhile I will continue to train and train and train.
I'm just curious,how old are you and how long have you been training?What style?

Please stop thread jacking. Like I said, Im not going to get into an arguement with a LT student. It's a waste of energy :p

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a simple question,not an argument.What style? How long have you been practicing.Easy, that is all,no, not thread jacking.I'm just asking you a question.Otherwise, it's real simple,I'm here to discuss theory,not get into matches online or remarks.Who trained you for how long,and what do you know about some of the theory behind Wing Chun?Real easy...we might be able to learn from one another,maybe?Where are you anyway and what schools of Wing Chun are available to you? Do you know the strengths and weaknesses of the different schools?What is your training regimen?simple...............I will read your response, then I will never post in here ever again,all I ask is that you answer what I have asked.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Darn it...I responded to this last night and it showed that it posted on my home pc, but here at work it's not showing. It was pretty lengthy and answered your questions....but maaan, I really don't want to type it again. Maybe once I get my work done here, Ill get bored and then will try and repost it.

cheers

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
No explanation needed,just insight,we're here to help and be helped.No hard feelings whatsoever.no ego,just cool.Have a nice day.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ive been playing WC since 98, off and on with different instructors and different lineages. There we're only 2 kuens that I would classify as WC because they stuck to the concepts and never included grappling or any other MMA style such as escrima. I'm currently in the best lineage I could possibly ask for as it is a great line of top students and completely fulfills my expectations of what WC instruction should be. There's no need to list them because it opens opportunities for an argument or like you said, ego. I train every day, only about 2 hours at this point in my life and I have classes with my sifu for 2 hours a day, twice a week. It would be much more but Im currently working on repairing a marriage. <-----priorities :D

One of the reason's that I liked WC over WT is because a bit of history is taught, with my sifu. Things like the crane and snake, the story behind Ng Mui and the relation to other gung fus during different dynasties.

a couple of post's up you stated that you wish I answer your questions, and then you'll never post in this thread again....No need, please continue to post.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Brocklee,sounds like you have a big job on you're hands already,I have done that one too.Piece of advice;do the right thing, give in and listen.I don't know what you're problems entail but Love and listening go hand in hand.Buy her flowers, woo her,treat her like royalty,I've heard that that is all that women really want, to be made to feel special and that you are giving them attention.I know this too well because I have other Loves too,like;Motorcycling,surfing,Kung Fu,Buddies.So what I ended up doing in re-evaluating and prioritizing.It works trust me.If all that fails,stay focused and move on ( the latter being; what we don't want to happen)
I hope that things work out for you.Yes, I will continue the debate in the primaries:),Take care Qwkslver61

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey man, Brocklee, obviously your wife is important to you, but my advice which I live by is that girlfriends come and go, but the art stays with you

If a woman can't love you for being you and for what you enjoy then maybe you have to re-evaluate her. I know it sounds harsh, but if I marry, she's got to be as appreciative of my training as much as I would be for anything she does.

I went out with a girl who was a swim champion and she would train every day, but then have a go at me if I went training twice a week!!

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of the reason's that I liked WC over WT is because a bit of history is taught, with my sifu. Things like the crane and snake, the story behind Ng Mui and the relation to other gung fus during different dynasties.

I didn't know there were grownups who thought Ng Mui was "history".

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't know there were grownups who thought Ng Mui was "history".
Hey, unless you were there, nothing is certain. A lot of wars and battles are very incorrect - like they say, history is written by the victors. I find the story of Ng Mui no less accurate than most of our 'history'

And hey, even if the story is made up, it is still a good story

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey, unless you were there, nothing is certain.
While there is no such thing as absolute metaphysical certitude, that does not mean that we have to allow every notion, no matter how wacky or unsupported. Most of the people who were directly involved in the Nazi Holocaust, whether perpetrator, victim, or rescuer, is now dead. Soon, none of the people involved will be alive. Would you ever be convinced by someone who says, "Unless you were there, it isn't certain that the Holocaust ever happened. It could be a big hoax"? I hope not. Only a handful of people have ever walked on the moon. Would you say that means I have to entertain the crackpots who say the Apollo moon landings were faked?

I'm sorry, but we don't allow that sort of argument in critical thinking.

A lot of wars and battles are very incorrect
Can you give an example of an "incorrect" war? Do you think we have no idea when or why the Punic Wars occurred, for example?

- like they say, history is written by the victors.
People like to say that, but it really isn't true. If so, why do you know so many dreadful things about history's victors?

I find the story of Ng Mui no less accurate than most of our 'history'
Why? What evidence is there that such a person even existed? The Five Elders are considered by mainstream historians to be fictional. Do you really wish to say that the fact of Ng Mui's existence is just as supported by evidence as Oliver Cromwell's, for example? Please think before you type.

And hey, even if the story is made up, it is still a good story

That's subjective, but at least you allow that the story may be fictional.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While there is no such thing as absolute metaphysical certitude, that does not mean that we have to allow every notion, no matter how wacky or unsupported. Most of the people who were directly involved in the Nazi Holocaust, whether perpetrator, victim, or rescuer, is now dead. Soon, none of the people involved will be alive. Would you ever be convinced by someone who says, "Unless you were there, it isn't certain that the Holocaust ever happened. It could be a big hoax"? I hope not. Only a handful of people have ever walked on the moon. Would you say that means I have to entertain the crackpots who say the Apollo moon landings were faked?.
No, but you shouldn't categorically say that you know 100% that the moon landings are real.

I'm sorry, but we don't allow that sort of argument in critical thinking..
How about religion and faith? I'm not religious myself, but most religions are based on nothing more than an idea that God COULD exist
It doesn't mean that I have the right to say that I know 100% that god doesn't exist
Can you give an example of an "incorrect" war? Do you think we have no idea when or why the Punic Wars occurred, for example?.
I didn't say you had no idea roughly why wars started etc, but unless you were there, starting the war, you will never know the details of that.

People like to say that, but it really isn't true. If so, why do you know so many dreadful things about history's victors?.
Please name a strong example where bad things are widely known about a victor

Why? What evidence is there that such a person even existed? The Five Elders are considered by mainstream historians to be fictional. Do you really wish to say that the fact of Ng Mui's existence is just as supported by evidence as Oliver Cromwell's, for example? Please think before you type..
Hmmmm, a politicain, probably the most famous in Britain who was seen by thousands of people in his time
Or a monk who was seen by probably a handful of people?
Can you think of any reason why Yip Man would promote the story of Ng Mui when it would probably do more to damage the credibility of the art in the 40s/50s when sexism was still rife?

That's subjective, but at least you allow that the story may be fictional.
Of course it may be fictional. It is hard to say things are absolute fact.
We thought that the Sun revolved around the earth at one point as fact

Latest Discussions