Favorite techniques?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The palm strike to the chin or nose is quite nice too.

It can also knock the air out of someone

i like the parry; after a strike a possibility is maybe grab the arm/leg and strike a target(preferably arm/leg joint)

Or the crescent kick. It goes over one side and comes back

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shai, I would avoid heel palming the nose. All they have to do is tilt their head back, and you are inserting teeth into your own flesh. :)
Welp, there go about half of my favorite Kung Fu movies.:p

It can also knock the air out of someone
To the plexus? I've seen that a couple of times and more often than not it was a fight-stopper. RMA's advocate use of the open palm strike frequently, since the looseness of the muscles as opposed to the tension found in your average punch allow you to generate tremendous amounts of whip-like hitting power. And it's loud, which is good for marketing.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been enjoying recently during sparring, moving my tanjon in as we clash, to one side, leaving one arm trailing behind in a relaxed manner and bringing the forearm across their collarbone and shoulder as if to start a cat roll. Has been a great take down when I've pulled it off, and they get a little confused as to what I'm doing since my center has already moved beyond them and I tangle their hands and protect my head with my leading arm.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shai, I would avoid heel palming the nose. All they have to do is tilt their head back, and you are inserting teeth into your own flesh. :)

As I was taught it, you strike sufficiently back of the point of the chin that tilting the head back would just give the strike more momentum due to less resistance. The strike is back and up to aid that. We also keep our eye on the point of strike. Then the eye rake that follows usually would be expected to take the fight out of anyone.

Latest Discussions