Favorite Sparring Combo/Techniques

D

drunkenfist

I was just wondering what everyone prefers to use in sparring?
I was trying to think of one combo or technique that is universal among TKD artists.Any technique is good as long as it works but I have to wonder.I know alot of guys prefer to trap the opponent alot but lets face it that strategy is over used.

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not clinching. Think this is probably a wtf term.
Trap fighter is a fighter who will sucker you into doing something, and then counter what you throw. It's almost like a pure counter fighter but instead of waiting, they actively force you to make a mistake. Very difficult opponents the ones that I've fought.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Langdow
Not clinching. Think this is probably a wtf term.
Trap fighter is a fighter who will sucker you into doing something, and then counter what you throw. It's almost like a pure counter fighter but instead of waiting, they actively force you to make a mistake. Very difficult opponents the ones that I've fought.

Probably why you see this strategy a lot.

The key to winning any sparring match is to get your opponent to fight "your fight". If you learn to effectively force or lead your opponent to take certain actions which you can effectively counter you accomplish two things:

1) You keep him/her from effectively implementing their own strategy.

and

2) You greatly reduce the chance of being "surprised" by a move or technique they throw.

One caution: Individuals can react differently to different inputs. Use the initial part of the bout to try and get a read on what your attacker's reactions are. Are they a "runner"? Are they a "leaner"? Do they angle off or just move straight back? After you get a quick feel for the type of fighter they are, go to work.

Respects,
Bill Parsons

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Clinching is a boxing term. The application in full contct TKD is pretty much exactly the same as it is in boxing.

Latest Discussions