Favorite defense

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is your favorite technique for fending off an attacker? When I'm fighting I tend to be more of a counter attacker or wait for the other person to come in on me. I like using a side thrust kick as the attacker comes rushing in to attack. I plant it right in the floating ribs or the gut.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sparring or real attack? They're not the same.

In the real deal, you may not have the notice to pop that side kick up. Your attacker is more likely to surprise you and be too close before you realize what's happened, or come in from behind.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really have no favorite techniques, I will use whatever I need to feed off an attack on the streets. This includes trash can, sticks, rocks or anything elses, keys biting pinching, eye gauging. It is about survival period.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The technique I use depends upon the attack. (In sparring ) I often fight defensively because I enjoy the game of countering although I am best when I take the intiative.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on the opening presented, the situation I'm in... there are too many variables to give one specific technique as an answer.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I use whatever works :) Nothing is off limits if my survival is at stake. It also depends on the situation. If it is someone drunk at a bar jsut looking to pick no someone, then a submission will work if its 1 on 1 etc.... In a dark alley and someone is trying to tackle me so they can grab my wallet. Different story, knees elbows, headbutts, eye gouging, whatever it takes to make sure I am the only one that walks out of that alley.

Johnny-sama

White Belt
Reaction score
What is your favorite technique for fending off an attacker? When I'm fighting I tend to be more of a counter attacker or wait for the other person to come in on me. I like using a side thrust kick as the attacker comes rushing in to attack. I plant it right in the floating ribs or the gut.

Talk the threat out of being an attacker in the first place.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, reload, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.... "stop or I'll shoot more!"

That's my favorite defense.

Actually you have to understand SD is not done in a vacuum. There will be indicators something is not right. If you have any awareness of this you might have time to go for position, or back out, or at least at a minimum you will be able to formulate a plan of defense. If you have no awarness of your environment you will start the ballgame most likely on the ground, alive or dead.

In these circumstances I most likely will start with my hand techniques first. Why? No streaching, no warm ups, no worry about the cloths I wear.... Any kicking will be low, and I can assure you my kicking ability, especially low, is pretty serious, like broken legs on the first try.

And any H2H will come only if I have messed up and can't get my trusty hogleg out. Why again? Cause that gun may very well preclude any fight. Just it's mear presence has a good chance of stopping the attack from going any farther (if it's sounds like a NRA ad, well yes the presence of a gun has stopped the vast majority of attacks that have been recorded.)

But you ask, what about just a fist fight over an arument. Well I'll tell you, I stay out of stupid aruments. Such a fight here in Texas would get my CCW revolked. So I stay out of such arguments and about the only reason I would face attack would be something much more serious.

And that requires a serious response.

Deaf

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think the best defense is the one where I don't get hit. running works or if that's not possible, then whatever it takes to get out of the situation. Talking loudly, tire iron or even a loud cry to throw him off. hell, he might think I was mentally ill and leave me alone. I always carry a mad picture of my wife in my wallet, and I could show it to him and tell him that I'll send her after him if he don't leave me alone. Then we'll see who's tough

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Most of us will tried to TALK our way out of a physcial confrontations.

To say you have a flavorite technique will limit one self...because NO two situtions will be the same.

RUNNING away is always a good thing...best to be alive tomorrow.

One must look at their situtions (locations,how many people around,possible weapons for defense, beer bottles,chairs,)

Distance...if the guys is going to punch you? ...or rush you? ...We all should be prepare to duck,kick,punch,block, and pee?

Aloha ( eyes,nose,groin,knees....always is good to know there are located)

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
The jab followed by a cross has allowed me to win more fights than any other technique I have ever learned. With a lead hook as a follow-up I'd stake my life on it any day.

Honestly, in a real altercation I'll do whatever I have to in order to be the guy standing at the end. In a sparring match, I can never take it that seriously even when I boxed. The stakes are just not even comparable.

I am a very aggressive fighter and I think that, couple with the fact I can shut off my emotions for periods of time, has let me win many fights that otherwise I shouldn't have. At the end of the day the fighter who is more willing to do greater harm than the other guy usually has the best chance.

Physical condition also cannot be overstated for its ability to contribute to your survivability in any tyoe of fight.

Mark

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how many of you have been in "real" fights, and how many?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Depends on what you consider a 'real fight' Mark.

In high school I was in several. One even came at me with a board. Never lost one, and funny thing is it was before I got into any martial arts.

Held one guy breaking into my parents house for the cops. This was during college and, while a green belt at the time, I just let my Colt Cobra .38 do my talking for me.

Later on my honeymoon, in the Virgin Islands (U.S. side) a guy grabbed the hand bag of a woman tourist and my wife,alerting me, got me running after him. Another guy in front bear hugged him and I got one of his free hands in a wrist lock. We took him down, he tried to get up, and we sort of increased our efforts and he finaly complied.

And of course I've been in full contact tournaments in my younger days (nothing huge mind you.)

Deaf

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I go instantly for the knee area, have done this a few times in fights, I try my hardest depending on the situation to do the least amount of damage, but the knee is my first strike, easy access and almost always or will be exposed in the first seconds of any attack by someone just wanting to hurt you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure whether or not you're talking about sparring or fighting. IMO, I feel that alot of what you do depends on a number of things, some being, a) what the other person is doing, b) your surroundings, c) the situation that you're in, d) how many people are involved.

I think its safe to say that we all have a favorite move, but that move may not apply to every situation.

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I should clarify my question. By "fight" I don't mean sparring, however heavy the contact, I don't mean any "match" in a ring, octagon, or on a mat. I mean outside in the real world when someone seriously intended to see that some harm came to you.
And the reason for my question wasn't to hear war stories, but to ask Part 2:
How many times have you actually been able to execute (or even think about executing) your "favorite" technique?

Latest Discussions