Fanatics and Cooks Giving the Arts a Bad Name

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
Every gun owner should have to be licensed, and whatever guns they own should be registered under their license, just like a car. When they buy bullets, they are serial #'ed and they have to electronically swipe their license so they have record of what you own.

It makes me nervous, and cuts both ways...

Even if you like and trust the current Administration (which I don't particularly), there may come a time when someone you don't trust is there... God forbid facism ever truly strike the US, but if the government knows whos got em, they can come take em away. The Nazi's did.

And aside from ethical concerns, there are practicle ones. You can't engrave a serial # on the lead, it slags when you shoot. You can ID the brass... but better pick it up, cause if a bad guy gets a hold of it, they can reload it, and you wind up in jail for murder... A whole new black market, selling "clean" ammunition; back alley "bullet house" sweat shops, refilling old casings - scavengers searching the back roads and forests for spent casings to "recycle" - ID theft of a whole new sort.

Seriously, I think more gun restrictions is treating a symptom. You get shot in the back with an arrow, the head of the arrow is just poking through your chest... so you put a band aid over it and change your shirt.

And any new laws and regulations only put restrictions on the law abiding citizen, not on the bad guys. They've got their guns.

:soapbox: IMHO ;)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It makes me nervous, and cuts both ways...

Even if you like and trust the current Administration (which I don't particularly), there may come a time when someone you don't trust is there... God forbid facism ever truly strike the US, but if the government knows whos got em, they can come take em away. The Nazi's did.

No, I don't trust our administration. The "Nazi's" didn't have a strict licensing policy because such things like magnetic strips and computerized record keeping was not into use or invented yet. All the Nazi's did was outlaw guns completely so their soldiers could reek havoc without having to worry about a citizen shooting them.

The fact is, whether they are "outlawed" in our country for the same reasons or not, they can still be taken away whether they are kept on record or not, and thats a fact. All record keeping would do is help us to identify murders better.

A good solution to not having a Nazi in power, btw, would be to not elect one! ;)

Also, there is no possible way that proper licensing and registration of firearms would increase the black market on guns...it could do nothing but decrease it. Plus, the technical problems you address are good ones, but I think they can be solved by modern technoligy.

:asian:

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The ability to license a thing is the ability to forbid that thing.

Historically, every widespread effort to register firearms has been a prelude to confiscation.

Responsibility for individual action begins and ends with the individual. No amount of paperwork will change that.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharp Phil

Responsibility for individual action begins and ends with the individual. No amount of paperwork will change that.

I agree...but it would be nice to be able to catch the perp. Also, I don't see proper registration as a prelude to confiscation. If they are going to pass a law to confiscate, then they are. Registration will not change that, in my opinion. I guess we have different views on the subject of registration.

J

jwreck

All record keeping would do is help us to identify murders better.
How?

My biggest complaint is the right to bear arms is either a right or it isn't. Hhow many of you are liscensed to practice your religion? How about freedom of speech? Its ridiculous to have to get a liscense for our government says is a god givin right, possesed by every man.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by jwreck
How?

My biggest complaint is the right to bear arms is either a right or it isn't. Hhow many of you are liscensed to practice your religion? How about freedom of speech? Its ridiculous to have to get a liscense for our government says is a god givin right, possesed by every man.

EEERRR...? :confused: :idunno: :iws: