Faking It

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have had discussion here regarding whether or not using airsoft guns for training was a good / bad or indifferent thing. I found this article regarding the subject and thought I would share.

Some of the best real-life practice might just be with guns that aren't real.

The quest for improved firearm training has gone hand-in-hand with the search for improved firearm training tools. When people think of those tools, they usually envision high-tech, self-resetting targets, 360-degree shoot houses, grip strengtheners or grip-mounted lasers. Hardly anybody realizes that one of the most important watersheds in firearm training was the gun culture's discovery of the Nelspot 007.

Full Story

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Trigger time is trigger time. And with the cost of ammo, yes a air soft can be quite benifitial.

Nice thing is, you can go weak side and re-learn everything with not much expense if you use an air soft.

Deaf

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Airsoft guns are great for practicing when you can't get to the range...they're also great for letting you know whether your gun disarming techniques are really worth a flip or not...
(I've also found that the prospect of getting shot in the face with a plastic BB makes the students take the stuff a bit more seriously :D)

As far as their training value for more dynamic skills...
Just like you have to actually hit people and risk getting hit by an uncooperative opponent to have effective empty-hand skills, "force-on-force" training using Simunitions/UTM, Airsoft, or paintball is where it's at when it comes to training for a real gunfight.

You can do a lot using different target systems but there's nothing like having someone shoot back at you. Provided that it doesn't devolve into a game of long-range tag, it can really teach you a lot about the state of your mindset, the quality of your decision making skills, and the effectiveness of your tactics.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Airsoft training has definitely improved my abilities. Not so much in how I shoot at the range. (you do need to fire real bullets) However it has improved repetition of good habits from drawing to target acquisition to moving well with a firearm and well force on force training against a live resisting opponent is good.

Those in the know have definitely been utilizing air soft training for a while now.
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions