failing a test

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Well, ATA has a camoflauge belt. I think it's ridiculous. I was embarrased to wear it and couldn't wait to get out of the belt. But the belt is more for the kids than the adults. And the other reason why they have the camoflauge belt is that they ran out of belt colors...You want to wear a pink belt?!?! I don't think so; I would much rather where some speckled green and black belt than a pink belt. NO THANK YOU...lol. Yes, I know it's kind of stupid, but oh well, humility. Have some humility and we all need to learn it and keep learning it. heh

As for the $160 you paid, the guy was such a ripper. I mean, when anyone fails a testing at our school, they get 2 more testing tries and the money carries over for those 2 testings. Of course, if you failed continuously after 3 testings you have to pay. What a rip off,

OP
S

sifu nick

We also use the camo belt for our Little Dragons in the same way.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
camo is ATA that was my last rank there befor i quiet now im back as a yellow belt in UTA both my instrutors have there name rank and school name on their belts i think it looks nice ....when i test if i pass ill get green tape on my belt for my High Orange rank i dont think ill mind to much its just tape it dont look very nice but it works

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TLH3rdDan said:
anyone else find that really cheap and corny looking to have your name rank style and orginazation sewn on your belt in gold???
While the idea of getting it done seems outrageously pompous in my opinion, the name part comes in handy. I am terrible at remembering names, so if you can just look at someones belt and get their name, its much easier. And less embarrasing than asking them what their name is for a third time.

And yes, electrical tape is indeed the roxxors.

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
i feel bad for you to fail. Some ppl are really greedy
icon8.gif
trust me.
icon7.gif
Hope u dont get ripped off by that master agian.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think having a weak kihap is sufficient reason to fail a test. But if it is a test, there should be standards and if someone does not measure up to the standard, they should fail. Otherwise, it is not a test, it is a "done deal."

Having said that, I personally don't let anyone test unless I am absolutely sure they are going to pass. We do a lot of pre-test work so that no one can say they don't know their material. It is in writing, on the website, and it is worked on regularly. Still, sometimes folks have a brain-freeze and forget stuff-that's okay, they can retest at no charge-saves them the $10 (under black belt).

Miles

Ana

White Belt
Reaction score
At our school for people inbetween belts we use gaffer tape.I personally don't think it's that big a deal because if you are between belts then it doesnt really matter , your actual skill matters more.
However the BBs get their dan embroidered on in yellow with their last name and the name of the school.

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite teachers was more than happy to fail a student during an exam, if it was warranted. And he did, hundreds of times throughout his teaching career in martial arts. His exams were both initiation and exam- the latter meaning one could pass or fail. You were tested twice, for over two months before even reaching the exam itself, and you only got that second stripe if you were ready. It often struck me that the blue belts (about 4 belts in) at his school looked better than some dans I have seen from other schools. He was a gifted teacher, and when you earned a black belt, it was generally understood you were a person not to **** with. I've never seen an entire school of people with such warrior spirit... and they fought viciously. No face strikes of course, but that didn't stop anybody, ever. What it did stop was us ever reporting it, which was the point. Take the pain, move in. If you failed, it wasn't for forever. It just meant don't screw up next time.

He would also as punishment be happy to take a rank back as punishment and banish even 3rd dans to the white belt class, if they acted inappropriately. His school was one of heroes, truly. Though now passed away, Anapum was a khan's student involved with the VT shooting. Students, half the class from what I heard about the incident, had to subdue him to get him out the window and stop him from ATTACKING the shooter. That's the kind of people khan's students were, all of them. It was an honor to train with them, I do not think it will be easy to find such a school as he had anywhere in the world. Different, the same quality, but not the same.

Latest Discussions