FAHRENHEIT 9/11 June 25, 2004

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

After a program like 60 Minutes deals with the story of the Bin Laden family still having dealings with their son (I know his mother refused to stop talking to him) I may believe it. But the fact that no legitimate source with a reputation for trustworthness and honesty seems to want to touch it tells me that it is another case of Moore probably playing fast and loose with the facts.

Again, you can't trust someone like Moore...
You have to give me a more concrete counter than that. Because I can as easily play the same game you're playing and say "Well, Osama's mother and his family are Liars". And we'll be in a stalemate. This does no one any good. I'm ready to listen to your counters, but all you're giving me is "there lies, lies, I tell you".

OK, until you can come up with a more definite answer for that one, I'll move on with an easier question, I hope there's an answer for it.

Why is the average Halliburton worker earning 8,000 to 10,000 a month, when our average soldier only earns 1,000 to 3,000 a month? Halliburton is the number one contractor under the Dept of Defense, so essentially both the worker and soldier are getting paid from the same place?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
Why is the average Halliburton worker earning 8,000 to 10,000 a month, when our average soldier only earns 1,000 to 3,000 a month? Halliburton is the number one contractor under the Dept of Defense, so essentially both the worker and soldier are getting paid from the same place?
Could it be, that during the first Bush Administration, the Secretary of Defense wanted to find away to make the 'Peace Dividend' brought on by the end of the cold war a reality by outsourcing much of military services (such as cooking & cleaning (so much for KP duty)). Then, when the first Bush Adminstration was asked to find new employment, that ex-Secretary of Defense took a job leading a company that could build those military services that were outsourced. Lastly, when the second Bush adminstration was appointed by the (in)Justices of the Supreme Court, the ex-Secretary of Defense, now promoted to Vice-President awarded several billion dollars of no-bid contracts to his former associates at Halliburton.

Could Dick Cheney really do all that? Naaa!!! That's way too looney of a suggestion, isn't it?

Mike

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
It's alot easier to avoid disrupting one's world-view if one simply lets others do the thinking for them. It's an easy trap to fall into, and certainly one I've been guilty of in the past.

Ah yes, let Moore do the thinking for you. All this stuff on the internet about how, "It appears that much of "the regular media" may be in the President's pocket." and such- but if Moore does not actually come out and phrase it that way, then you can't blame him, eh?

Now on to more conspiracy theories and accusations against the Bush administration, Halliburton, etc as a nice diversion, eh?

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

Don Roley said:
Ah yes, let Moore do the thinking for you. All this stuff on the internet about how, "It appears that much of "the regular media" may be in the President's pocket." and such- but if Moore does not actually come out and phrase it that way, then you can't blame him, eh?

Now on to more conspiracy theories and accusations against the Bush administration, Halliburton, etc as a nice diversion, eh?
that's your answer????!!!!

OP
P

PeachMonkey

Don Roley said:
Don, none of what I posted before the message I've quoted before came from Michael Moore. I hadn't even *seen* "Fahrenheit" at the time, and I still haven't seen any other his other movies (except for "Roger and Me"). Why do you think I'm letting Moore do the thinking for me?

I have listed, on two threads now, a number of researched, detailed points, and you've responded with only this kind of churlish hyperbole. Is this because you refuse to actually discuss the facts and issues? Or are you just enjoying the sparring?

I've gone to a great deal of effort to back my points, and you clearly are not exerting anything like the same level of effort. I'm finding it harder and harder to take you seriously.

OP
C

captnigh

PeachMonkey said:
I have listed, on two threads now, a number of researched, detailed points, and you've responded with only this kind of churlish hyperbole. Is this because you refuse to actually discuss the facts and issues? Or are you just enjoying the sparring?

I've gone to a great deal of effort to back my points, and you clearly are not exerting anything like the same level of effort. I'm finding it harder and harder to take you seriously.
Ouch!
And I believe michaeledward answered the question posed by Joe Eccleston concerning Halliburton....(very well, I might add.)
I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, I heard people stood up and cheered at the end of some of the first screenings.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, I heard people stood up and cheered at the end of some of the first screenings.
Me too - I heard that it got a standing ovation here in my little town.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't seen the film yet, and will await (personal) judgement/viewpoint of it's content and "message" until then. I saw "Bowling for Columbine" and appreciated the tongue in cheek message that it had there. That film showed Moore to be insightful but a bit too biased in that the "other-side" had little or no voice. It was disappointing to see Charlton Heston refuse cooperation for an interview because he (was) a man I admired for a time.
Regardless. Moore's films are part of what makes America great. The fact that he's able to make these films and release them to the general public without censorship says that we're still free enough to voice our own views no matter who they may (or may not) offend, particularly if they're aimed at our own government. They at least do not see Moore's views as a threat or else they'd never be released eh?
What I find funny (as in ODD) is the various websites that point out the indescrepencies of the Pentagon attack on 9-11 that they're up for about a week and then mysteriously disappear. :idunno:
Mebbe the webmaster couldn't afford to keep it up or...

OP
C

captnigh

MACaver said:
The fact that he's able to make these films and release them to the general public without censorship says that we're still free enough to voice our own views no matter who they may (or may not) offend, particularly if they're aimed at our own government.
Good point.
is the various websites that point out the indescrepencies of the Pentagon attack on 9-11 that they're up for about a week and then mysteriously disappear.
Hmmm. I hadn't really noticed..... Could you be more specific?
I love a good conspiracy.....:)

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
is the various websites that point out the indescrepencies of the Pentagon attack on 9-11 that they're up for about a week and then mysteriously disappear.

My father was there soon after the Pentagon attack, searching for two missing employees....and there was definately wreckage on site.

Latest Discussions