Extremely limited choices...assistance welcome...

OP
S

squirepens

I could've swore at least three times here I'm looking for self defense. As opposed to sport, demonstration, etc. Something that is not going to get my *** kicked should I try to defend myself with it. Also I think TKD is out of the question as it contains lots of kicking. I'm a big guy 6-3 and 290 lbs. Obviously kicking isn't going to be my strong point. I can see I'm going to have to be more specific here so here goes.

Must be effective at self defense
Must be "big guy friendly" for me to learn it (i.e. no drunken monkey super ninja stuff)
Prefereably something that's spiritual as well as physical, I'd like to grow powerful on the inside too
Something that minimizes movement (I'm not incredibly limber and long stretchy movements would probably not be that great for me)

Hope that helps. In addition I realize that many of you pointed out the quality of the instructor. I know that this is important...that's why I mentioned "ASIDE FROM QUALITY OF THE INSTRUCTOR" in the original post. I was really going for a what meets the above mentioned criteria and what is the focus of each art, throws, kicks, punches, magic ninja stars of death, etc etc. My fault for not being so specific in the first place, sorry. Thanks as always !!!

Squirepens the unspecific

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen big guys get pretty successful results with Judo or Aikido.

However, whether or not any one of those arts will be good for self-defense will totally depend on whether or not the instructor can translate what your doing in the dojo to real life self-defense.

I'd watch their classes before you decide. Look for the teacher to say stuff that implies "here is what you would do if you were attacked for real" type situations. Ask questions, and ask about real life application, and see what kind of answers you get. Report back and get second opinions here.

For fun, this site will tell you exactly what art you should be doing! Ask the advisor...

http://www.fudebakudo.com/en/extras.html

:uhyeah:

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here is the deal. You have to call each school. Narrow it down by asking them their philosophy and asking them how they can help you learn what you want to learn. Then go into the ones that you liked the best. Watch the class, ask some questions, see if you can try it out for a day or so. I would suggest kenpo, judo or aikido for your body type. we can tell you all we know, but it won't give you a real idea of what your going to learn.

BTW

Kenpo - Hand speed, close fighting, advanced striking, basic locks and throws
Judo - throws, balance, basic striking, maximum effect with minor effort
Aikido - joint locks, throws, balance, basic striking, maximum effect with minor effort

Your going to have to train hard and increase muscle mobility no matter what you do. Understand that now.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
squirepens said:
Karate (not sure what kind, just says "karate club")
White Tiger Kung Fu Tai Chi
Kenpo
Judo
Teoul Moon Kung Fu
TKD
Okinawan Karate
Isshin Ryu
Aikido
What everyone has said about how it depends on the instructor more than anything else is very much true. Everything else is a secondary consideration.

Okinawan Karate or Judo are the choices I'd direct you to, based on your interest in self-defense and your "big guy" status. Take both if you can. Judo, though a sport, can be surprisingly effective. Okinawan Karate (of which Isshin-ryu is an example) usually has both hard and soft aspects and has not been as watered-down as some (not all!) of its later variants.

I don't recognize the second kung fu style's name so I'm suspicious of it; white tiger is a rare style so again I'm somewhat suspicious. Aikido can be very good in the looooong run but that can be a very long wait. Note, "karate club" could mean just about anything.

Check out a local martial arts supply store, if applicable--you may find more choices on their bulletin board (e.g. garage schools). If your interest is self-defense, don't overlook boxing too.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ala respects for Bud Collier, a big guy from Karate background with a spiritual leaning, go with the hard-style karate. And, just so you know, I pretty much never make that recommendation to anyone for anything. I think the reasons mentioned by Arnisador are good points; additionaly, the time spent practicing metered kata can be spent increasing body awareness, and meditating in motion...watch your thoughts as a passive observer, and notice the space between the thoughts. Kata make a good way of distracting the body and the ego during this type of meditative exercise.

From a self-defense perspective, a guy your size settling into a rear-hand reverse punch off a knife-hand block will do a lot to fold some poor sap in half. Likewise, getting your weight behind a good chop...ouch.

My own vote.

Dr. Dave

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I could've swore at least three times here I'm looking for self defense

Yes you did, I wasn;t trying to be difficult, just trying to narrow down your expectations... Kinda like saying you want to work with computers, but doing what?....

Okay, you're a big guy, try the Kenpo, Karate, or Aikido

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say with your body size, go with the Aikido. However, not knowing about the school itself, the White Tiger Kung Fu kind of hints at it being a southern style, which would be very well adapted to your body size. I would be leary of the teol moon kung fu as I haven't heard of that as a style, but maybe its the schools name only. Check out the tiger kung fu school and see if they are legit, if so I would recomend (if it turns out to be southern kung fu or legit tiger style) White Tiger or Aikido.

Just My Opinion,
7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I'd be careful of Kung Fu, only because most schools (at least in my state) are not legit!

:asian:
Very good advice! I'd be careful of Martial Arts, only because most schools (at least in my state) are not legit!

:) 7sm

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
heh. That's true in my State too. :uhyeah:
I'm in So. Cal., a supposed Mecca for MA. Still, had to find students of Ark Wong & Duke Cheng b4 I could find any decent KF training. I would also suggest: Level of sophistication and coordination required for Kung-Fu (if you can find a good one), kenpo, and similar systems places higher demands on ones bodily structures, increasing the likelihood of injury for bigger guys starting later in life. Another reason I voted for a more straight-forward JMA.

Luck and Laughter!

Dave

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I gotta vote for Kenpo, cause that is what I do. But I have done Judo, Shotokan, Taekwondo, and several styles of Kung-Fu over the years. Hung-Gar, an EXTREMELY HARD STYLE, not to be confused with difficult, just to let you know all Kung-Fu is not "Soft", there are only a few really internal, or soft styles of Kung-Fu (Tai Chi, Bagua, or Pa Qua when I did it, and Hsing-I) Most Kung Fu is external and has a hard component.

That being said, Kenpo is almost totally self-defense oriented, but you have to evaluate the level, quality, and intent of the training. Watch multiple classes in several schools and find what you are interested in and what seems to fit you.

From a fairly big guy,
-Michael

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
I gotta vote for Kenpo, cause that is what I do. But I have done Judo, Shotokan, Taekwondo, and several styles of Kung-Fu over the years. Hung-Gar, an EXTREMELY HARD STYLE, not to be confused with difficult, just to let you know all Kung-Fu is not "Soft", there are only a few really internal, or soft styles of Kung-Fu (Tai Chi, Bagua, or Pa Qua when I did it, and Hsing-I) Most Kung Fu is external and has a hard component.

That being said, Kenpo is almost totally self-defense oriented, but you have to evaluate the level, quality, and intent of the training. Watch multiple classes in several schools and find what you are interested in and what seems to fit you.

From a fairly big guy,
-Michael
Having visited your website, I can appreciate the depth and breadth of your commitment to your choice. Awesome site!

D.

Latest Discussions