External Hand Tranining

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The pictures you shown are from people who never done any martial arts training. Show me a Sifu or grand master who practiced iron fingers or hand techniques that said he has hand problems now due to his practice.

Also most people who have this sorta of illnesses is not from what they do with thier hands but the pork and swine that they eat. Pork is known to cause athrisit along with other degenrative diseases. In fact pigs or filled with bone and muslce problems and puss.

351455_Arthritis-1.jpg

354031_Adv_Rheumatoid_Arthritis-2sm.jpg

82608-004-867AD557.jpg

Hand training is quite an outdated concept IMVHO. Outside of heavy bag or wall bag that is. heck, even stressing your hand with those grip strengthener's add density to your bones as will any resitance training. Train enough and your hands adjust naturally, just look at any working carpenter or mason's hands.

Makiwara, knuckle-ups on concrete, punching walls or trees or whatever is really stupid and no longer needed....not at the expense of crippling yourself.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
The pictures you shown are from people who never done any martial arts training. Show me a Sifu or grand master who practiced iron fingers or hand techniques that said he has hand problems now due to his practice.

How do you know for sure what caused this? I have seen MANY of older karate teachers hands gnarled up from hand conditioning on Makiwara boards as well as knuckle push ups. Also, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that repeated trauma to the hands or feet will cause calcification and arthritis as a result....and i don't care what movie seen this in or what "Grand Master" told you otherwise. Ever see a carpenter's hands at the twilight of his career? How about assembly line workers or any worker with repetitious fine motor movements.

Also most people who have this sorta of illnesses is not from what they do with thier hands but the pork and swine that they eat. Pork is known to cause athrisit along with other degenrative diseases. In fact pigs or filled with bone and muslce problems and puss.

Ummm.....okay, if you say so. I know some religions ban pork altogether and try to create myths to keep the "flock" away from it, but that's another thread for another forum.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This one guy who used to eat pork all his life...who Now doesn't because he has arthritis and diabetes always testifies that had it not been for pork it wouldn't have his issues. Also with in the African American community they possess the largest amount degenterative diseases they also are the largest consumer of porks in the world.

As for grandmaster etc etc...I am aware of their are cons. But not everyone who practices these skills has them. For instance there are masters who specialize in iron palm or iron finger skill. There hands are not riddled with Arthritis. Also in addition to Dit Da Jow there are certain Chi Kung exercises you do to promote healing in your hands.

I cant speak for karate because I don't know any karate fighters presently. My Sifu's big brother practice karate and iron palm techniques. But he is fifty years an has not hand problems...but he is too young i suppose...i will let you know when he turns eighty....But now he doesn't practice karate...he has been practicing Wing Chun and other chinese martial arts for over 30 years. But his iron skills and phoenix fist is still pretty tough. I would not like to be on the receiving in. His student also has been practicing iron palm for like ten years...but he is only in his forties...so its too soon to tell. Let you know about him when he turns 100.

How do you know for sure what caused this? I have seen MANY of older karate teachers hands gnarled up from hand conditioning on Makiwara boards as well as knuckle push ups. Also, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that repeated trauma to the hands or feet will cause calcification and arthritis as a result....and i don't care what movie seen this in or what "Grand Master" told you otherwise. Ever see a carpenter's hands at the twilight of his career? How about assembly line workers or any worker with repetitious fine motor movements.

Ummm.....okay, if you say so. I know some religions ban pork altogether and try to create myths to keep the "flock" away from it, but that's another thread for another forum.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you take karate do you use the boards below. How does this benefit

gikofunakoshi.jpg

Also if you practice palm strikes do you use this whats the benefit?
180px-Iron_palm_.jpg

If you practice Bil Gee or Biu Tze whats the benefits of practicing these stiking basics below?

Mungbeans.JPG
Stonebowel.jpg

Does your School or Kwoon teach Iron Fingers and Iron palm Techniques with your Wing Chun? My Sihing says this is the Traditional teaching of WC many people now forsake. In one Bruce Lee's Books on fighting method he shows thrusting fingers in gravel as conditioning tool he too practice. I was woundering whats your viewpoints on hand and arm toughing and conditioning?

Do you punch Wall Bags filled with Beans,Sand,Gravel or steel shots?

Do you drop down force on Striking Bags filled with Beans,Sand,Gravel or steel shots?

Do you thrust your hands and fingers into Buckets of Beans Sand,Rice,Beans, Steel Shots?

Another Wing Chun School I ran across on net had Pictures of this very thing down below the pics are self explantory I think

Bucket of Sand and Iron Palm Bags
DSC00449.jpg

Wall Bag and Wooden Man

Latest Discussions