Exchange Student

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have an exchange student from Japan visiting, and her style is Shotakan Karate. She is 16 years old and I am not sure how long she has been studying. She only speaks Japanese so communication is difficult but on the mat she picks up and understands pretty well.

Well I have to say her power is incredible. Her stances are really really deep and every technique is so hard and crisp. At 16 she punches harder than any adult male in our class and her snap is just amazing.

Now with that said her kicks are strong but not as sharp but she caught on quite fast to how we kick and I think that in only a couple weeks she would be able to kick just as well as any of us.

She picked up Koryo in only 3 or 4 tries and again the power and snap from the beginning was just WOW!! I mean there was no just doing the movements to learn the form. Every movement was with full power, even the mistakes. She fixed the mistakes right away and did not make the same mistake twice. By the 3rd time through she had the form down.

Now I have been to Hamnadang a few times and the Koreans also have the same power and snap as her, and the first time seeing this I was just as amazed.

I know that here in the states most people only go to class a couple times a week and most do not practice at home so I am sure this has a lot to do with it.

Just thought I would share this with you all.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes the Asian coulture really stresses proper stances and power, we tend to waterdown alot of techs. The reason being MA is more of a workout than a lifelong journey. Sorry but that is the truth. I have study in Japan, China and Korea and for the most part they have the mentally by the age of 6-8 for perfection in all things they do.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes the Asian coulture really stresses proper stances and power, we tend to waterdown alot of techs. The reason being MA is more of a workout than a lifelong journey. Sorry but that is the truth. I have study in Japan, China and Korea and for the most part they have the mentally by the age of 6-8 for perfection in all things they do.

I have seen this firsthand and this is my experience as well. Asians take training and everyday life to a level that most Americans will never understand or ever try to achieve. If we can find an easier way of doing things, we will go that way.

How many students or even instructors, put in 2-3 hours per day on training? Not many.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you have created some sort of Taekwondo Monster. Just kidding !

It is a great feeling when you teach so successfully.
Thanks MasterWright, but no teaching of mine. She is just plain good. And the scary thing is that she may not even be close to the best by her schools standards.

I know my master (from Korea) keeps telling me that me and my kids have to go back to Korea to train soon. Well my kids more than me. He says once they come back they will be 100 times better. Once they are 14 he says. We will have to wait and see.

Latest Discussions