Ever Heard of Jung Sim Do?

Discussion in 'Korean Martial Arts - General' started by kenpohack, Aug 3, 2005.

1. kenpohack

kenpohack Yellow Belt

I've ran across an instructor in Las Vegas who claims to teach a Korean style called Jung Sim Do. I can find little information about the art online. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who may have studied the system. The instructor that I spoke to claims to be the personal disciple of the Do Joo Nim of the system, Doug Vess. Again, I can find no record of Doug Vess anywhere online, except an obituary for a Grandmaster Doug Vess who was a 10th Dan in Shotokan (a far cry from a Hapkido-based system). Given the proliferation of frauds and charlatans in the martial arts, I would not be terribly suprised to find that very little of what this martial artist told me even remotely resembles the truth. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Clmarts

Clmarts Guest

Jung Sim Do was established by Grandmaster Seung Kil Choi in 1974. It is a valid style. I have never studied it myself, but I have friends from the tournament circuit that have studied the art. It's a mix of TKD, Hap Ki Do and Yu Do (Judo), also a mix of weapons and Tai Chi style meditation techniques. As far as Doug Vess goes, I know he was a Shotokan Grandmaster, but, never heard that he was involved in anything related to any kind of TKD or Jung Sim Do.

3. kenpohack

kenpohack Yellow Belt

Where did Doug Vess hail from? I believe he taught out of Roanoake, VA. Did he ever venture out to Pennsylvania? The Las Vegas Jung Sim Do instructor who claims to be his disciple is from Pennsylvania. I believe that Doug Vess passed away in 2000. This gentleman claims to have been promoted to 7th Dan by Doug Vess in December of 2004. Possibly, communication with the dead is a requirement for advance rank in Jung Sim Do.

4. kenpohack

kenpohack Yellow Belt

Does the Kidohae list certifications for black belts of Jung Sim Do?

5. sahng

sahng White Belt

i studied jung sim do to the high bluebelt level at the chambersburg academy of martial arts. Even though i never trained to black belt level i still learned many very effective techs for self defense. The art is a combination of tae kwon do, yudo/judo, and hapkido plus weapons. it's very effective.:asian:

6. YoungMan

YoungMan 2nd Black Belt

Every so-called Grandmaster claims their style is very effective. What has this guy done with Jung Sim Do as far as demonstrating how effective it is? And placing ads in Tae Kwon Do Times and Black Belt doesn't count.

7. Zinobile

Zinobile White Belt

Interesting. Clmarts' 8-4-05 post info is correct. I studied Jung Sim Do under Master Kil Choi and his associated masters (Sun Cheung & Nam Kyu Yoon) from June of 1976 off & on (he moved around a bit) through the spring of 1984. Our last contact was in the late 80s when I helped him out with some tasks related to a move back to Korea. He was my friend, and he passed away in 1992 if the reports I heard are correct. Master Cheung ran the studio in Chambersburg that was mentioned above. I moved to Hagerstown, MD in 1977 some time & studied under Master Cheung at his studio there before moving to St. Louis, MO via Raleigh, NC to join Master Kil Choi with other higher ranking students (including Bob Ley & Joe Fox & others) to establish a new studio there. Never heard of Master Vess, but Master Kil Choi taught in a number of places in the USA & Europe, so who knows? Pennsylvania, however, is where he spent most of his time to the best of my knowledge.
    Anybody still watching this, I wonder? :)
    Anyway, any questions about Jung Sim Do, please ask. I'll answer as best I can.123