Espada Y Daga Drills ?

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Can Anyone give me some good Sword & Dagger drills to teach in my class. I really like how they help develop Eye/hand speed, timing etc...

Thank-you in advance.

Peace & Harmony always

Enoch

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's up...!:D

I'm leaving in a few days for New York City til' April 12th. I know quite a few espada y daga drills that you might like. Some of them you might have seen already, but I might have a few things you haven't seen, but would like.

Out of all of the drills I know (which are probably alot compared to most arnisadors) I had just asked Rich Parsons and Tim Hartman at the Dr. Gyi seminar at Jaye Spiro's school (a-hem, Scott Vanderzee was at the seminar, where were you! :p) about this same issue. My concern wasn't with learning new drills, however, but it was with building a method for Semi-sparring, or full out sparring, with espada y daga. I feel I'm at a level where I can just pick up a short and long stick (immulating sword and dagger) and just "go at it" with someone no problem, but when it comes to building students up to a level where they can free play w/ espada y daga, that is a completely different story. I have a fairly sound method for building students to this level with single cane, because this is easier to execute control. I have a hard time preparing a student for sparring when there is 2 weapons involved, because this can get very messy from a control aspect. Since I am a firm believer in playing with hard weapons w/ little to no protective gear, I have a stronger emphasis on "good technique" with the ability to control your weapons then many instructors. It's o.k. to let someone know you got 'em, but I don't want to lose sparring partners & students to injury!

Anyways, Rich Parsons runs a class in flint; he was able to give me some sound advise on teaching espada y daga to students, and building them up to a semi-sparring level. Datu Tim was also very helpful, as always.

Anyways, most of this stuff is better shown then explained. If you want, we can get together and play with some espada y daga stuff (or whatever other stuff you want) when I get back. I have plans to go visit Rich in flint and play with his group. Rich is my senior in Modern Arnis and in Balintawak, so I can play with him at a different level then I am able to with my own students. You can go up there with me if you want, also (with Rich's permission of course, which I am sure would be O.K.).

So, if you want, I'll give you a ring when I get back, and we can talk about it.

Later!
:asian:
Paul Janulis

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paul,

You and your friend Enoch are welcome. :)

Just contact me to make sure I am around and not traveling about the country side or the globe :D.

And thank you for the kind words. :asian: One last word, My Senior, Master Jim Power is actually in charge of the club. :asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One last word, My Senior, Master Jim Power is actually in charge of the club.

This is true....I am sorry I forgot to mention this. Senior Master Jim Power is also very experienced in Modern Arnis. I believe he started with Professor in the late 70's. :asian:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seigi,

What I do with my students is:
1. Block an incoming strike and check/cut with the dagger
2. Block an incoming strike and counter with a style of striking such as rompida, figure 8 and the like inserting a stab with the dagger after the completion of the strike.
3. Same a 2 except to insert the stab mid-strike.
4. Do any of the counter for counter drills (give & take, 6 count etc.) using the dagger cut as the check action.

This will give you something to work on until you can hook up with Rich.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Rich,

Another good set of forms that incorporate Espada Y Daga are the "Seven Seguidas" from Pekiti Tersia. The Dog Brothers are a source for it for video.

The 80's GM Remy Presas's tapes had alot of techniques too. Its easier for someone to show you and/or to look them up than to explain them.

Palusut

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry Rich, Seigi,

I accidentally addressed the wrong person with my previous post. My 5 month year old daughter was trying to assist me typing and I got distracted.:).

The scary thing is that her words per minute is faster than mine.:erg:

Take care,

Palusut

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The late Edgar Sulite of Lameco has a tape out from Unique Publications on Espada Y Daga. It has some good drills and things in it.

I just watched it last night. :)
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our style has several amara (striking patterns), that are taught to beginners and later placed in a longer form. One of the amara is called "Downward" because the defender steps back with his or her left foot and delivers a forehand diagonal downward cut with the stick or espada, before continuing with the striking pattern. Here's a drill adapted from this amara:

(Assuming you are both holding the espada w/ your right hands):

A. Step rt. foot forward w/ forehand downward strike w/ espada
D. Step lf. foot backwand w/ forehand downward strike w/ espada

A. Thrust w/ daga to chest (overhand)
D. Flywheel (redondo) to daga hand w/ espada

A. (Waits)
D. Continue to daga thrust (overhand) to daga hand and monitor daga hand with daga

A. Backhand downward strike w/ espada
D. Backhand downward strike w/ epada

D. Daga thrust (overhand) to daga hand and monitor daga hand with daga

A. (Waits)
D. Forehand upward strike to daga hand with espada

A. Forehand horizontal strike w/ espada
B. Cross-step right foot behind left and flywheel (redondo) 2X with espada to cover center-line

A. Flywheel (redondo) w/ espada
D. Continue motion of 2nd Flywheel to backhand horizontal strike w/ espada - no followthrough. This is called "media" or half-strike

D. Step rt. foot forward to "Forward Uno Dos." This is: 1. Step rt. foot forward as you flywheel to daga hand w/ espada; 2. Thrust w/ daga to daga hand; 3. Step lt foot forward as you backhand downward strike to A's rt. collar bone with espada (cut through to his lf. hip); 4. Thrust to chest w/ daga as lf. foot lands.

Repeat by D stepping back with lf foot as A steps forward w/ rt. foot to recycle the drill.

This drill teaches to alternate your defense between both of his weapons, and to attack his daga hand with both weapons, where possible. In addition, it teaches the defender to keep his lt. foot light at the end because he/she must step back w/ it again to repeat the drill. This helps you to learn not to commit too much on the last thrust, which is the only daga thrust to the chest by the defender.

Best,

Steve Lamade

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Paul, My Brother in-law had a pace maker put in his chest that weekend, i could'nt make Gr Gyi. Seminar. Scott told me it was great , sorry!

& I would love to train with you & Mr Parsons.
E-mail me (do you still have my e-mail).

Thanks again to everyone for thier great tips.

Peace & Harmony always!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seigi
Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Paul, My Brother in-law had a pace maker put in his chest that weekend, i could'nt make Gr Gyi. Seminar. Scott told me it was great , sorry!

& I would love to train with you & Mr Parsons.
E-mail me (do you still have my e-mail).

Thanks again to everyone for thier great tips.

Peace & Harmony always!

No need to apoligize about not making it to Dr. Gyi; I was just giving you a hard time, anyways. :p

I do still have your E-mail; I'll use it when I return from NYC.

I hope your brother-in-law is doing well.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my teachers used to have us substitute the dagger for the live hand, and instead of checking, cutting. Another teacher said that if you are lost and do not know what to do with your live hand, put a knife in it. With this in mind, you can do most drills you already do with single stick, numerada, sombrada, hubad, even some tapi-tapi. Try this, start out right on right tapi-tapi, when you insert the bait, instead of the empty hand hitting, draw a blade and feed that instead- your partner should seem more anxious to take the bait when he sees a knife coming his way! Haven't done this in a while, maybe we’ll do it tonight! Experiment and play, take what you already know, stick a knife in your other hand and go with what happens.

Andy

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Great advice Andy, thats a great way of looking at it.

Peace

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Palusut
Sorry Rich, Seigi,

I accidentally addressed the wrong person with my previous post. My 5 month year old daughter was trying to assist me typing and I got distracted.:).

The scary thing is that her words per minute is faster than mine.:erg:

Take care,

Palusut

Palusut,

No reason to apologize :)

I hope your little one had fun! helping you ! :D

Good Advice you gave anyways

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Rich,

The fun never ends. Can't wait for her to hold her own bottle, then I can show her 12 strikes:D.

The cool thing about threads like this is that we expand and preserve the reference base for everyone, which is excellent!

Great training to you,

Palusut

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Palusut
Thanks Rich,

The fun never ends. Can't wait for her to hold her own bottle, then I can show her 12 strikes:D.

The cool thing about threads like this is that we expand and preserve the reference base for everyone, which is excellent!

Great training to you,

Palusut
Pal,
I didn't know you had a little one. Is she your first? I know the feeling. Mine has learned the 12 strikes but is more into karate. She's already told me that when I retire, she's taking over for me.

Yours,
Dan

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
Hello,

Can Anyone give me some good Sword & Dagger drills to teach in my class. I really like how they help develop Eye/hand speed, timing etc...

Thank-you in advance.

Peace & Harmony always

Enoch"

you are pathetic!!

how can you call yourself a teacher when you do not know what to teach and you are asking an internet forum for help on what to teach your class???
i feel sorry for your students..... i know plenty of espada y daga and also garrote y daga drills, some of the basics include, arko, suyop, palakaw but you cannot learn them from a forum you must study with a qualified teacher....preferably the main teacher of the style (grandmaster)......

once again you are pathetic

terry

OP
Seigi

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know plenty of drills from Inosanto Kali.

I asked for more options to share?

I thought that was what this forum was for?

Sorry to offend you.

Peace

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
Hello,

Thank-you in advance.

Peace & Harmony always

Enoch"

you are pathetic!!

how can you call yourself a teacher when you do not know what to teach and you are asking an internet forum for help on what to teach your class???
i feel sorry for your students..... i know plenty of espada y daga and also garrote y daga drills, some of the basics include, arko, suyop, palakaw but you cannot learn them from a forum you must study with a qualified teacher....preferably the main teacher of the style (grandmaster)......

once again you are pathetic

terry

Moromoro,

I'm only going to say this once. Don't be a dick. You know nothing about Enoch. He was just trying to get some different opinions from other practitioners of Filipino Martial Artists, and there is nothing wrong with that.

If you knew him you would know that he isn't one of those people who claim to teach and know everything about "Kali," but who really only teach their style of Karate with sticks and knives, while barely even take the time to take a FMA seminar. Enoch has been active in Modern Arnis and other FMA, and he actively seeks knowledge in FMA wherever he can find it. We need more instructors like him who claim FMA; who are always trying to learn from others.

So, don't jump to conclusions until you know all the details.

Respectfully,
PAUL

Latest Discussions