Escape thread.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you manage to take a guy out who has you mounted with a groin strike (or pretty much any strike), I recommend you immediately go buy a lottery ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not impossible. I've knocked the wind out of someone who had me in that position. I will agree with you and say it is very unlikely to happen. They can generally block and control you so easily in that circumstance and make it difficult to land a decent strike.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not impossible. I've knocked the wind out of someone who had me in that position. I will agree with you and say it is very unlikely to happen. They can generally block and control you so easily in that circumstance and make it difficult to land a decent strike.
For me, it's risk versus reward. I'm much more likely to sacrifice my face by going for the groin in that situation than managing a good strike of my own. Being mounted sucks, but there are much better options available.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh I wasn't talking about going for the groin. I punched the guy in the sternum and knocked the wind out of him. The groin would be pretty much unreachable due to him sitting on top of you.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me, it's risk versus reward. I'm much more likely to sacrifice my face by going for the groin in that situation than managing a good strike of my own. Being mounted sucks, but there are much better options available.

Please try your theory sometime. Have someone sit on top of you with you wearing headgear with a mouthguard, and have them drop semi-heavy blows on your face. While they are doing this, attempt a groin strike that is capable of disabling them. I can assure you that you're going to be taking FAR more damage than they are.

Alternatively, you can simply do what the Gracie Bros. did in that video shown earlier and save yourself the headache.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Please try your theory sometime. Have someone sit on top of you with you wearing headgear with a mouthguard, and have them drop semi-heavy blows on your face. While they are doing this, attempt a groin strike that is capable of disabling them. I can assure you that you're going to be taking FAR more damage than they are.
Yeah, I'm not arguing in favor of attempting pretty much any strikes while someone has me mounted.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not arguing in favor of attempting pretty much any strikes while someone has me mounted.

Yeah sorry, mis-read your quote.

But yeah, anytime you have a theory, you should test it out and see how it goes for you. :D

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Generally, I agree with you, but I'll pass on testing that particular theory^^.

It has been tested. Punching a guy in the chest from bottom is legal in MMA, yet never happens. Ok, that's partially true, it occasionally happens at really low level events and generally ends badly for the bottom guy. Strikes against a person mounted on you is a bad idea.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

Interesting side mount escapes. Warning. This video is British. If you have an issue with that you have been warned.

Latest Discussions