Environmental Awareness

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by Seig

Kenpo Haiku is a requirement for 7th! Isn't it?

Oh, would that it were only a little Haiku!! :D

OP
T

tonbo

Haiku is Japanese poetry using 17 characters max, and done on 3 lines, traditionally.

It has been "adapted" into English to use 17 syllables in 3 lines, as follows:

Line 1, no more than 5 syllables;
Line 2, no more than 7 syllables;
Line 3, no more than 5 syllables.

It is often a reflective poem, or a striking image.

One example, by Basho (Japanese poet):

"Lightening:
Heron's cry
Stabs the darkness"

Haiku in a nutshell....by a nut....:D

Peace--

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
um...English Teacher begging to differ....

A haiku is a form of Japanese poetry written in a rigid format. This format consists of the first line of exactly five syllables, the second line of exactly seven syllables, and the third line of exactly five syllables. They are generally about nature, but can be about anything. There is usually some kind of change represented from the beginning to the end...

here's one one of my students wrote last year in honor of the Lakers.

basketball flying
the ball goes down through the hoop
sometimes it doesn't

here's a few of mine

white wings fluttering
soaring, looping, falling, fly
the bald eagle strikes

the grasshopper rests
peacefully on blade of grass
watch out for mower

and a karate one

fists fiercely flying
snapping, quick lightning striking
the board cracks in two

:asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
with the poem tonbo found, it looks like it had been translated from Japanese, which would explain why the english syllables don't quite fit.

OP
T

tonbo

....I gotta blush a bit on this one....

It's been *years* since I dealt with English class, although I was an honors English student, once.....and it's been just about as long since I had to define Haiku to anyone.

Anyways, yeah, I knew that it was 5-7-5 on the syllables, but I understood that the original Japanese idea was to use no more than 17 characters (Japanese characters). English is a bit different, and puts it into the rigid 5-7-5 that nightingale talks about.

The poem I quoted was translated from Japanese, and obviously doesn't fit exactly. Happens, I guess.

My apologies if I screwed anything up on the English bit.....I'll defer to the teachers on this subject....:D ......If I keep on screwing it up, just make me sit in the back of the class....hehe

As a side note: Basho was the poet credited with the "You only live twice" saying. He wrote that in a poem, where the full quote was:

"You only live twice: Once when you are born, and once when you look death in the face".

Peace--

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend of mine did a couple of Haiku poems with the idea of Kenpo consciousness and Black Dot / White Dot focus. (Maybe with the urging from a certain teacher residing in Arizona who was encouraging her Kenpo growth.) I am placing the link below:

Kenpo Consciousness Haiku

Dennis I am sure will remember this link. The site is no longer maintained, but this particular Haiku seemed to me, to be the epitomy of living in the now - the pauses in life in the midst of chaos; the stillness in the eye of a hurricane, or perhaps the total awareness and concentration while in a life and death struggle.

Just more stuff to think of while looking at the part of the Art.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a very good explanation of black dot/white dot.

Was this a thesis for the person that wrote it?

:asian:

Latest Discussions