Entertaining presentation by Bill Wallace

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Floyd Guidry was DQ'd in a match with Bill Superfoot Wallace.

Floyd was disqualified because he knocked out Bill with a flying, spinning back kick to the head.

I think the call was a bad call. But whatever.

Both of em are greats. But Floyd was the better fighter.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Floyd Guidry was DQ'd in a match with Bill Superfoot Wallace.

Floyd was disqualified because he knocked out Bill with a flying, spinning back kick to the head.

I think the call was a bad call. But whatever.

Both of em are greats. But Floyd was the better fighter.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No. I respectfully disagree. :)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill's a very cool guy in person. One of my best friends here in Texas is in a relatively small karate association wyho has as a benefit that their main guy is personal friends with Bill, so he came through town to do seminars on kicking and stretching at least 1 or 2 times a year for quite a while.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill's a very cool guy in person. One of my best friends here in Texas is in a relatively small karate association wyho has as a benefit that their main guy is personal friends with Bill, so he came through town to do seminars on kicking and stretching at least 1 or 2 times a year for quite a while.
Man, that had to be fun.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only went once, but yes, it was a good time. He is just like that in person when doing his thing, it doesn't change.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No. I respectfully disagree. :)
I love ya like a brother Buka, but the call was politically motivated. Floyd was an unknown outsider who "showed up" and KOd a well respected and quite popular fighter.

He upset the status quo and at that tournament only Chuck Norris knew who he was.

Chuck was ref'ing a different match at the time. KOs were okay in the tournament. Head kicks were okey in the tournament.

Which is why I say its a bad call.

It wasnt an illegal contact. So the call, was in fact, was rooted in preferential bias.

Floyd got robbed by Refs. Pure and simple.

What happened was kosher, and well within the rules.

And a highly skilled fighter (Like Bill) shouldn't be easily knocked out. But, here was a deficiency in Bill's defense, and it was immediately capitalized upon.

Hence, at that moment, he was an inferior fighter to Floyd.
It wasnt a lucky shot.
It was premeditated by Floyd who had watched Bil fight carefully, and studied him.

It required an extremely high skill level to execute the technique with the exact power and precision that was delivered.

To Bill, it came as a complete surprise because no one had ever attacked him like that before, at the instant the match began.

Shorin Ryu (like most Okinawan karate) tends to avoid what is deemed "flashy" aerial high kicks. Therefore Bill had limited exposure to it (if any at all) and was not sufficiently prepared for a very high level exponent who was very well versed in Aerial kicking.

In much the same way, if ground fighting was legal, and someone walked into a ring facing a Gracie, and knew nothing about takedown defense or ground fighting and found themselves submitted, but the ref dq'd the gracie fighter.

Its really old old news, but it still stinks.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say that anyone can get "caught." It happens to everyone, eventually. You end up doing it to people, eventually, too.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love ya like a brother Buka, but the call was politically motivated. Floyd was an unknown outsider who "showed up" and KOd a well respected and quite popular fighter.

He upset the status quo and at that tournament only Chuck Norris knew who he was.

Chuck was ref'ing a different match at the time. KOs were okay in the tournament. Head kicks were okey in the tournament.

Which is why I say its a bad call.

It wasnt an illegal contact. So the call, was in fact, was rooted in preferential bias.

Floyd got robbed by Refs. Pure and simple.

What happened was kosher, and well within the rules.

And a highly skilled fighter (Like Bill) shouldn't be easily knocked out. But, here was a deficiency in Bill's defense, and it was immediately capitalized upon.

Hence, at that moment, he was an inferior fighter to Floyd.
It wasnt a lucky shot.
It was premeditated by Floyd who had watched Bil fight carefully, and studied him.

It required an extremely high skill level to execute the technique with the exact power and precision that was delivered.

To Bill, it came as a complete surprise because no one had ever attacked him like that before, at the instant the match began.

Shorin Ryu (like most Okinawan karate) tends to avoid what is deemed "flashy" aerial high kicks. Therefore Bill had limited exposure to it (if any at all) and was not sufficiently prepared for a very high level exponent who was very well versed in Aerial kicking.

In much the same way, if ground fighting was legal, and someone walked into a ring facing a Gracie, and knew nothing about takedown defense or ground fighting and found themselves submitted, but the ref dq'd the gracie fighter.

Its really old old news, but it still stinks.

I don't doubt anything you said, my friend, and actually enjoyed reading it. (quite a bit, actually) I'm just thinking of the overall record of Bill Wallace and the entirety of his fighting career.

What I enjoyed the most about this thread is how much Bill seems to have changed/mellowed. Made me happy.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't doubt anything you said, my friend, and actually enjoyed reading it. (quite a bit, actually) I'm just thinking of the overall record of Bill Wallace and the entirety of his fighting career.

What I enjoyed the most about this thread is how much Bill seems to have changed/mellowed. Made me happy.

I did say he was great. :)

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

For me one 1/2 of the greatness equation is fighting ability. The other half of greatness is the ability to teach someone else to fight as good, if not better than yourself.

in 1965 one of Floyd's students Jerry Skivers became the one to take away Mike Stone's undefeated label.
Screenshot_20190408-063725_Messenger.jpg

Being great... fights really well, teaches others to fight well or better.

This why i say they were/are both great.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just saw this on YouTube, and wanted to share...

I basically copied this instruction in class yesterday. Except I mixed it around a little bit. There's a teenager in class, who is a pretty good student, who was asking a question about a weird kick I showed (basically you spin around and roundhouse kick across the spin). I explained to him that my goal in sparring is to kick where they don't expect a kick to come from.

So first I showed him a head-level roundhouse. I said "the easiest way to block that is to lift your hand and elbow." So he blocked it. Then after a couple times, I chambered high and then cut the kick into his rib level. "This is what I do when I get them used to blocking high." So I showed him how to use his other hand to protect his ribs. Got him used to that block and then I threw a hook kick to the other side of his head.

I definitely use a little bit of social engineering in my sparring style.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Note to self, watch out for Skribs and his social engineering.

Latest Discussions