English has too many homophones

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there were no empire, then how could Kiera Knightley recently be appointed Officer of the British Empire? It's just a very small empire, but we aren't here to judge.

Actually the title of the award is Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. :) it's an order of chivalry award for outstanding effort in arts, sciences, charity work and public service outside of the Civil Service.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually the title of the award is Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. :) it's an order of chivalry award for outstanding effort in arts, sciences, charity work and public service outside of the Civil Service.

Oh @Tez3, you do realize now that our entire honour system is gonna have to be explained (and including the order in which they come ). This could take a while lol.

Steve I punctuated lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ummmm one should bear in mind that the Empire no longer exists. That is an all to distant memory and I was not born when we were still an empire and I doubt @Tez3 was either as in effect those days ended before the lights went out all over Europe
Probebly not, it seems to have ended in 1947 when the lights had mostly returned to Europe

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If there were no empire, then how could Kiera Knightley recently be appointed Officer of the British Empire? It's just a very small empire, but we aren't here to judge.
The whole empires thing is rather a turn if phrase, we had co!lonies and we had over seas terrorties, but it was possesion of India, that gave rise to us having an empire, or rather queen victoria was crowned emperess of india and not of anywhere else. which sugfest the rest wasnt considered an empire

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Probebly not, it seems to have ended in 1947 when the lights had mostly returned to Europe

The saying the lights went out all over Europe refers to WWI lol as it was the end of the golden age so to speak and when the empire was still as such. And back then we did have the grand Fleet and we did still rule the waves

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just got done a few minutes ago. Quite the opposite, actually. It was all mush.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH TO much info .........................waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much info lol lol lol

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In what way do you mean? Can you point to some examples? I think some people troll others, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use homophones to do it.
Alright, sometime ago on this forum there was a thread about fighting ranges where different fighting ranges were described and people were asked what their favorite fighting range was. Now I am not going to mention any names but somebody made a post on that thread about oven ranges saying that was their favorite range. Oven ranges and fighting ranges are obviously two totally different things but the word "range" can mean either of those things. But when there's a thread about fighting ranges than those are the kinds of ranges that are being discussed and to start talking about oven ranges in such a thread, this is not my call but I would say its trolling.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The whole empires thing is rather a turn if phrase, we had co!lonies and we had over seas terrorties, but it was possesion of India, that gave rise to us having an empire, or rather queen victoria was crowned emperess of india and not of anywhere else. which sugfest the rest wasnt considered an empire
Jeez, you guys take this stuff seriously. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. This is like the British version of "mansplaining." :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Alright, sometime ago on this forum there was a thread about fighting ranges where different fighting ranges were described and people were asked what their favorite fighting range was. Now I am not going to mention any names but somebody made a post on that thread about oven ranges saying that was their favorite range. Oven ranges and fighting ranges are obviously two totally different things but the word "range" can mean either of those things. But when there's a thread about fighting ranges than those are the kinds of ranges that are being discussed and to start talking about oven ranges in such a thread, this is not my call but I would say its trolling.
Ah, I can see what you mean. I think there's an important difference between trolling and making a joke. I don't think anyone would mistake an oven range for a fighting range. Trolling suggests that the person is trying to start an argument or stir the pot.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jeez, you guys take this stuff seriously. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. This is like the British version of "mansplaining." :D
Its history mate, its like us mixing up the varius american ibvading of sovereign nations,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The saying the lights went out all over Europe refers to WWI lol as it was the end of the golden age so to speak and when the empire was still as such. And back then we did have the grand Fleet and we did still rule the waves
Yes i know, and if yiur being picky, its lamps, not lights, but anyway yiur claim is the BE finished before the lights( lamps) went out and it didnt ut trundle on to at least 47 and us giving India back to the indians( and the pakistanies etal.) Plus we still had most of the rest, which took another couple of decades to give back.

In the 1930 s there were serious plans to blockaid New York ( and the whole easten seaboard) and bring those pesky amerian to heel, so we still ruled the waves then, unfotenttly for the civilisation of the usa, the germans got in the way, so thats how it all went wrong for them Americans

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes i know, and if yiur being picky, its lamps, not lights, but anyway yiur claim is the BE finished before the lights( lamps) went out and it didnt ut trundle on to at least 47 and us giving India back to the indians( and the pakistanies etal.) Plus we still had most of the rest, which took another couple of decades to give back.

In the 1930 s there were serious plans to blockaid New York ( and the whole easten seaboard) and bring those pesky amerian to heel, so we still ruled the waves then, unfotenttly for the civilisation of the usa, the germans got in the way, so thats how it all went wrong for them Americans

Yes you are right as regards lamps, I would say tho that the Empire was not the Empire after the first war as such. Yes it still existed but not like it did pre 1914.

Yeah it took a while to hand it all back however look what happened to some of the countries when we did lol.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yeah we do take it seriously as we do have a kinda long history and it seems so many want to grab at it lol.....Also it could be said that there is not very much that we haven't tried at one time or another, we even tried being a republic and decided that wasn't a good idea lol, much better to have a person at the top that will always be there no matter what politicians try and that the people can rally to and behind when we in the **** lol

Latest Discussions