Engine(?)

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
The way it's been used in Wing Chun in recent times, is to add an aura of mystery and intrigue where none is necessary, unless you are trying to create a type of clique or cult from which outsiders can be patronised or condescended to.

As Geoff Thempson said, and as an article by Phil Bayer I read recently also alluded to, the most important thing is to learn to "HIT F***ING HARD".

OK so I'm probably guilty of using the word "engine" talking about wing chun punching power. But that is probably because I work on feel a lot more first than visuals. To me the wing chun "method of producing power" (to be politically correct) feels more like a wave and boxing feels more like crank rotation. YMMV. No intention of mystery or intrigue just describing a feel difference for me. Can't speak for anyone else w/r to auras and condescension.

I think that both boxing and wing chun have an aim to hit hard. Heavy bag uppercut bag for boxing - part of daily is bag work.

Do you have a link to that article? Would be interested to read. TBH I never have thought of PB as a power puncher no offense.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OK so I'm probably guilty of using the word "engine" talking about wing chun punching power.

I was referring to a specific individual, a maker of long rambling videos who was banned from this forum and a number of others, rather than any respondent to this thread.

Do you have a link to that article? Would be interested to read. TBH I never have thought of PB as a power puncher no offense.

Nor have I, though I have no way of finding out that wouldn't involve an international long haul flight. Just happened to be reading the article when this thread caught my attention. Here it is.

https://www.wingchunillustrated.com/2016/01/21/make-punch-count-power-development-part-1/

Latest Discussions