Elmond Leung/Ben Der

Dominic82555

White Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone trained under either of these 2 teachers (Elmond Leung in Burlingame CA and Ben Der in San Jose CA)?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Has anyone trained under either of these 2 teachers (Elmond Leung in Burlingame CA and Ben Der in San Jose CA)?
I met Elmond once about 35 years ago, I think. Back then he was a straight up Leung Ting guy (as was I at the time). He's been on his own for a long time and with a lifetime in Wing Tsun/Wing Chun he should have a world of knowlege. If you have a chance to train with him, please post back and let us know what you thought!

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
But on the other hand...
Ben Der is long time student/training partner of Kenneth Cheung. I have had the opportunity to workout with several of Ken Cheung students/grandstudents and I have always been very impressed by their attention to detail, expressions of power, live training methods.
Of the lineages I've trained with, probably my favorite. Except for mine, of course :cool:

So if you're looking for a new school, you owe it to yourself to visit both of these.
And then let us know what you think...!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you visit the Ben Der school, just make sure you get the right guy.

This one is not a great role model:

1705172880315.jpeg

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sadly, Sifu Elmond Leung died in 2020.

I believe his students still teach in SF area.
My Si Pak and Si Sok spoke very highly of him.

OP
D

Dominic82555

White Belt
Reaction score
I met Elmond once about 35 years ago, I think. Back then he was a straight up Leung Ting guy (as was I at the time). He's been on his own for a long time and with a lifetime in Wing Tsun/Wing Chun he should have a world of knowlege. If you have a chance to train with him, please post back and let us know what you thought!
I was watching Sifu Alan Richter podcast out of New York, and he had mention on his show that Sifu Elmond Leung passed away April of 2020. The is under, I believe a Sifu Matyas Tamas.

OP
D

Dominic82555

White Belt
Reaction score
But on the other hand...
Ben Der is long time student/training partner of Kenneth Cheung. I have had the opportunity to workout with several of Ken Cheung students/grandstudents and I have always been very impressed by their attention to detail, expressions of power, live training methods.
Of the lineages I've trained with, probably my favorite. Except for mine, of course :cool:

So if you're looking for a new school, you owe it to yourself to visit both of these.
And then let us know what you think...!
I've sat in on a number of classes under Ben Der and I've never seen any combat drills (applications) at all. I'm wondering what I am missing? smh None of their video show any applications to mention as you may with in other WC schools.

OP
D

Dominic82555

White Belt
Reaction score
I was watching Sifu Alan Richter podcast out of New York, and he had mention on his show that Sifu Elmond Leung passed away April of 2020. The is under, I believe a Sifu Matyas Tamas.

*school is under

OP
D

Dominic82555

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't mind and if I have to travel, in my case, between 1:30 to 1:45 minutes to a WC school, but I'm not traveling that distance 2-3 times a week for the fun of it.:)

Latest Discussions