Ed Parker Video Clips

N

Nick Ellerton

all i can say is OH MY GOD! I have never seen anything like this, I knew Mr parker was lethal but oh my god!!! he is so fast. My goodness, how can someone be so quick again oh my god!!!!

N

Nick Ellerton

PLease if anyone has any idea where there is anymore please share the 5 swords clip was amazing

cheers

K

Kenpo Yahoo

Hey Nick,

Yeah that was a pretty cool clip, but it's not even one of the better action sequences I've seen of him. I'm just wondering where all the people went to that keep saying that speed kills your technique. Perhaps Mr. Parker should have slowed down, used a full forward bow, or made bigger circles. I guess he just never learned the right way to do kenpo (by the way this is heavy sarcasm).

Mr. Parker moved fast and could hit hard, to suggest otherwise does him a severe injustice.

Glad you enjoyed the clip.

N

Nick Ellerton

Kenpo Yahoo said:
Hey Nick,

Yeah that was a pretty cool clip, but it's not even one of the better action sequences I've seen of him. I'm just wondering where all the people went to that keep saying that speed kills your technique. Perhaps Mr. Parker should have slowed down, used a full forward bow, or made bigger circles. I guess he just never learned the right way to do kenpo (by the way this is heavy sarcasm).

Mr. Parker moved fast and could hit hard, to suggest otherwise does him a severe injustice.

dude im not exactly the quickest person on the plannet both mentally and physically, but, that clip is a display of mr parkers capabilities, lightning speed, and im sure if u ask the gentleman to whom was mr parkers bodie for that technique he would say that he had power as well, so combined speed with power, you have pain i guess. I would like to talk to someone to whom has had the pleasure to be hit by mr parker (how can it be a pleasure, well iv never been hit by him so i guess its ok for me to say its a pleasure, but for those who have i guess not) just to find out what the experience is like, i no through working with some senior ranks i have had the privelage to train with that feeling is believeing, and from what i have read about mr parker, anyone who was hit believed :)

cheers.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nick Ellerton said:
dude im not exactly the quickest person on the plannet both mentally and physically, but, that clip is a display of mr parkers capabilities, lightning speed, and im sure if u ask the gentleman to whom was mr parkers bodie for that technique he would say that he had power as well, so combined speed with power, you have pain i guess. I would like to talk to someone to whom has had the pleasure to be hit by mr parker (how can it be a pleasure, well iv never been hit by him so i guess its ok for me to say its a pleasure, but for those who have i guess not) just to find out what the experience is like, i no through working with some senior ranks i have had the privelage to train with that feeling is believeing, and from what i have read about mr parker, anyone who was hit believed :)

cheers.

It was like being hit by a freight train...LOL!

Ask KENPOJOE, he'll tell you the same...

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Yahoo said:
Hey Nick,

Speed clearly didn't kill Mr. Parkers tequnique but it kills mine. I've seen too many people try to move as fast as Mr. Parker and forget to hit as hard as he did. He was an impressive athelete. Even more impressive, however, was his ability to figure out what he did and teach it to others so that they can teach Kenpo to Lesser Mortals like me.

Respectfully submitted,

Jeff

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Additionally I notice that while this is nominally five swords, Mr. Parker modified his moves when dummy did not bend forward on the uppercut. Mr. Parker continued by hitting open appropriate targets instead of forcing the technique as written.

Jeff

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Additionally I notice that while this is nominally five swords, Mr. Parker modified his moves when dummy did not bend forward on the uppercut. Mr. Parker continued by hitting open appropriate targets instead of forcing the technique as written.

Jeff

And from what I've heard he would frequently change the way he did techniques anyway.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nick Ellerton said:

cheers.
I had the plasure of being on the recieving end of Mr. Parker's technique demo's...light bulbs go on when you have the guy in front of you, banging away on you. Over 15 years in Kenpo beofre being on the recieving end, and...for the first time...I got IT. Incidently, I am one of the people who says the emphasis for speed kills power for beginners. SGM Parker was a bear of a man with hands like ball gloves and fists like canned hams. He spent decades pushing to get better and better, and was hitting hard long beofre he was hitting fast...and emphasis placed onn early kenpo/kempo in Hawaii (lots of breaking in the early days). The late Bob Perry, a Kenpo Senior from waay back, related a story of when his "IT" light went on for power before speed...when he sparred with Mitose as a black belt, and likened it to being run over by a train; he felt he was faster than Mitose at flicking out backfists, finger whips and snap kicks, but it didn't stop the train from blowing right over him.

There are many who can hit as fast as EP, and many who can hit as hard as him, but few who can hit as hard, as fast.

Latest Discussions