Ed Parker movement VS his senior 1st generation students

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Doc,

I know your use to hearin this but your right again! When I travel down to Ft Myers to see Mr Wedlake he points out the most suttle things about body allignmnet, posture and mechanics that I would have never noticed. So, what some of us thinks looks good someone such as yourself would think is not so good.
Lee is one of my favorite people. A very intelligent man and a gentleman whom I have always admired ever since he first came on the scene coming to California at the Old Man's house. I haven't seen him since a camp in Baltimore in 96'. I wish we had an opportunity to get together again. I feel we both would benefit from the experience.
Who do you think are the best movers in Kenpo today. Talk about putting you on the hot seat!
Now that's just wrong!!! :)

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Okay, now let me ask the question that everyone has so wanted to ask for so long, but couldn't get themselves to type.

Do you think there is someone today that moves as good as Mr. Parker did?

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Mr. Seabrook;

Although I haven't had the pleasure to have watched every practioner of "today's" generation of kenpoists or too have had the honor of meeting Mr. Parker but from what I have seen in my limited circles and tapes of Mr. Parker my vote for a person that "moves as good" as, not exactly like, Mr. Parker would be Jim Mitchell's son Jerald Mitchell.

At just under 6 ft he has a similar build and an incredible ability to take kenpo principles and apply them to motion. For those that have seen him on the tournament scene in the mid-west and northwest may agree, or not, but in my opinion he would get my vote until I am shown otherwise by those that have seen both. He is still fairly young and with time he may move further in that direction but not likely. He has been practicing for 30 years and is probably at his peak. Again, just my limited opinion.

Good topic Mr. Seabrook! Any other nominations out there?

Steve

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
.........all very interesting conjecture, but in the end...it's no more useful a set of questions than "Who'd beat who? Batman or the Hulk??"

we shouldn't get so wrapped up in who others 'were' but in whom we could be tomarow.

Your Brother
John

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
.........all very interesting conjecture, but in the end...it's no more useful a set of questions than "Who'd beat who? Batman or the Hulk??"

we shouldn't get so wrapped up in who others 'were' but in whom we could be tomarow.

Your Brother
John
Again the question is not who would beat who, but who is most like Mr Parker. As for super heroes I say the Badger Moves most like Mr. Parker, but Spiderman is a close second.
Sean

kevin kilroe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Doc,

I know your use to hearin this but your right again! When I travel down to Ft Myers to see Mr Wedlake he points out the most suttle things about body allignmnet, posture and mechanics that I would have never noticed. So, what some of us thinks looks good someone such as yourself would think is not so good.

Who do you think are the best movers in Kenpo today (Besides yourself of course.)?

Talk about putting you on the hot seat!

I don't know who the best movers are but I do know who the worst spellers are!

Reactions: Ray

Harley Quinn

White Belt
Reaction score
Did anyone mention that Ed Parker received any trophies for his movement or is this just 'hero' worship gone awry? Is there any proof to all this?
It is a question.
Harley

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been to his house and saw a wall of placks. Each a vote of recognition for contributions to the art. Does that count?

Harley Quinn

White Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death,
I am not sure, were any for good movement. I would figure that since he was pretty much a 'numero uno' he would get the plaques anyway. But I don't believe he compiled ribbons and trophys for what we are talking about.
No question he was good at what he did. But like others have said this really is not for us to say. I don't have any videos of his and I don't believe at the time he wrote his Infinite Insight books he was doing much of anything like others are now.

So for me I don't have the foggest, I would have to go along with what one of the first posters said, 'have a good kenpo day'.

Harley

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are we talking about? A trophy proves good motion? and unless someone comes on here to testify he took fist place in a forms competition you are not buying the possibility that he possessed refined motion?

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Touch'O'Death,
I am not sure, were any for good movement. I would figure that since he was pretty much a 'numero uno' he would get the plaques anyway. But I don't believe he compiled ribbons and trophys for what we are talking about.
No question he was good at what he did. But like others have said this really is not for us to say. I don't have any videos of his and I don't believe at the time he wrote his Infinite Insight books he was doing much of anything like others are now.

So for me I don't have the foggest, I would have to go along with what one of the first posters said, 'have a good kenpo day'.

Harley

hmmm..

I'd STRONGLY suggest that "Trophies and ribbons" are an extremely shallow and false way to judge excellence.
There are many who have'm and yet their abilities are little more than mediocre...

find a better standard, like maybe the impact the person had on the martial arts community on many different levels. Let alone the Beautiful and powerful art he created.

Your Brother
John

Harley Quinn

White Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
hmmm..

I'd STRONGLY suggest that "Trophies and ribbons" are an extremely shallow and false way to judge excellence.
There are many who have'm and yet their abilities are little more than mediocre...

find a better standard, like maybe the impact the person had on the martial arts community on many different levels. Let alone the Beautiful and powerful art he created.

Your Brother
John

OK, here is the deal, I have given SGMEP much praise and respect. My simple question is not being answered because, no he did not. He was kind of above it at that point he did bring forth several systems and much controversy.
He taught one thing for a while and then changed and taught it different and by doing so angerd his first generation and second generation. They ended up not continuing in his steps but stopped at a crossroad.

There is no reason to attack me and reverse the hold you can't. One of the reasons Larry Tatum's name comes up and should is because he took the time to lay down everything in video tape so it would be there for all to see. Something SGMEP did not do. He was going to do it but did not and then when it was being done he was on the wrong train and to old to compete with the new guys. Pretty simple. Huk Planas was another. Who did he replace?

When it come's to discussion, stay with the point I was making and don't attack me. I know he created a good system, but others came up and replaced him. Which is exactly what he wanted by the way.

He tried, like all martial artists to stay one step a head of his students, he did this by changing things and finally he came up with the Infinite Insight
volume and barely was able to do that. He referenced books that he was writing and never finished, for he died prior to doing that.

His Encyclopedia of Kenpo which was finished by his son and his (EP) wife. It was in full swing or else I don't believe Edmund would have been able to complete it. Other books that SGMEP talked about writing have never hit the shelf. He had not started on them other than at the moment of the creation in his mind while writing the one he was in.

In my opinion 'Have a great Kenpo day' said it right out of the get go. Brother John you agreed with him and now you are trying to make me the goat. Don't go there.
Trophies and ribbons are only shallow and false to those who don't posses them. IMHO. Or maybe George C. Scott was right?

Harley

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Harley,
Actualy they are right on. The fact that you are looking for an etched in stone reference to kenpo just proves you totaly misunderstood Mr. Parker. He was a man just like anyone else and that man was constantly thinking and throwing out what did not fit his new way of thinking. You are trying to project possibly your own victim mentality on Mr. Parker and upon all martial artist for that matter by stating that he was trying to stay ahead of his students. He was the master purly because he was ahead of the game because he lived and breathed refinement of Ideas and Motion as pertaining to music, sports, Kenpo, or anything he did. He was just that guy. For those who feel betrayal that he parted from the understanding of Kenpo that he once had, they were at their destination and Mr. Parker was on the Journey.
Sean

Harley Quinn

White Belt
Reaction score
OH Oh, Here we go again, Moderators you have to give them some slack when it comes to there opinions, NOT. Don't attack me!
This is not about that, if you want to go there fine for it just goes to show your weak side. Yin and Yang and all that.

I am not a victim mentality, I am about as far away a victim as you will ever meet, but I don't think we will, that is good if you were running your mouth off in person and attacking me.

I am talking about his Movement by winning awards for it. He did not. Simple he was praised by others and got mentions, sure great.

Stick to the subject and don't throw down a glove, I will pick it up.

Harley

Reactions: MJS