eastern medicine

OP
I

Idaten

Domo arigato gozaimasu, Nightangale-sama.

I'll defiately look into that.

OP
T

theneuhauser

here's a quick reccomendation

Chinese Natural Cures written by Dr Henry Lu

its a fairly comprehensive source for information on plants and herbs, treatments ailments, and medicine. organized like a big reference manual. i defenitely reccomend it.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Re. TCM: As stated in a post on another thread, TCM is the "official" form of Chinese medicine in the PRC. Now that China has become somewhat more open than in the past, some of the "old" schools of Chinese medicine are beginning to resurface.

Re. resources about herbs.

Daniel Reid's Chinese Herbal Medicine is a good introduction. There is a chapter about one of my teacher's teachers - an old Chinese doctor from Taiwan, that explains the connection between Chinese medicine and martial arts.

Bob Flaws' Shaolin Secret Training Formulas has several formulas for martial arts injuries. I would consult an herbalist before using them, however.

John Ramholtz (sp?) has a book on training formulas for martial artists. Again, I would consult an acupuncturist/herbalist before using them.

Bensky and Gamble's Materia Medica is the definitive source for professional herbalists.

I am a recent graduate from acupuncture school and have been training in Chinese Die Da ("hit and fall") medicine for about 5 years now. My teacher is a well-known acupuncturist in NYC who specializes in sports and martial arts injuries. He also teaches courses on Die Da medicine. If anyone is interested in learning more, please feel free to contact me.

I also have a website at:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze4fs8i/index.htm
Best,

Steve Lamade

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Steve. I didn't know you were a part of MartialTalk! We met last year at a class or obsevation/GR.

Congrats on graduating from Tri-State. I'm still there for another two. :shrug: :)

Take care

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

Nice to hear from you. I remember you well from a class at TriState last spring. I'm currently studying for my NCCAOM exam on Saturday.

I think that Tom Bisio will be treaching at next year's Spring Intensive. I hope that you get a chance to see him demonstrate a Chinese medicine geared towards martial arts traumatology.
He and a guy named Frank Butler also teach a series of courses related to Die Da medicine that include Tui Na, herbology, Qi Gong, and acupuncture in preparation for bonesetting. Worth a look at.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by lhommedieu
Nice to hear from you. I remember you well from a class at TriState last spring. I'm currently studying for my NCCAOM exam on Saturday.

Good luck!!! :D

I hope that you get a chance to see him demonstrate a Chinese medicine geared towards martial arts traumatology.

Yeah, last year he and Frank did a class on "Trauma Medicine/External Applications of Herbs."

Take care.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris from CT

Good luck!!! :D

Yeah, last year he and Frank did a class on "Trauma Medicine/External Applications of Herbs."

Take care.

Chris -

Thanks - I took the exam yesterday and am pretty sure I passed. Macciocia (the "silver book") is great for understanding the patterns, and a better read than CAM.

"The Trauma Medicine/External Applications of Herbs" course is a great resource - I took it a couple of years ago.

Re. Herbal medicine for martial artists, the following are also useful (in addition to my earler post):

Shaolin and Taoist Herbal Training Formulas, by James Ramholtz

Chinese Massage: A Handbook of Therapeutic Massage, Compiled at the Anhui Medical School Hospital by A.R. Lade and J. Wong.

Orthopedics and Traumatolgy (Vol. 14 of the English-Chinese Encyclopedia of Practical TCM).

Musculoskeletal Disorders , by Alon Marcus

See also The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing, by Daniel Reid, for a good general introduction to Chinese Medicine.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks - I took the exam yesterday and am pretty sure I passed.

That's great! :cheers:

Macciocia (the "silver book") is great for understanding the patterns, and a better read than CAM.

Yeah, we're doing our TCM Patterns classes with Sharon Zhao right now. I have been using Maciocia's book for extra help on the patterns.

I will check out some of those books you mentioned.

Thanks & take care.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Please note that I have updated my "Training Resources" page on my website to include a couple of Chinese Herbal Products for martial arts injuries. These are:

1. A Dit Da Jow for stick hits to the fingers, hands, wrists, etc., as well as for any recent trauma to the muscles, ligaments, tendons, and bones.
2. An herbal soak for chronic injuries and old injuries that don't seem to be getting better.

The URL is:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze4fs8i/training_resources.htm

Best,

Steve Lamade

Latest Discussions