E Books? Anyone read online?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Baen resource is a very useful one for those interested in Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Likewise, Project Gutenberg is wonderful for making classics widely available.

I use it to 'taste test' authors but I have to admit that I'm utterly buried in the past in that I dislike reading books on screen. I vastly prefer a volume in-hand, with it's tactile and olfactory components contributing to the reading experience.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do eBooks on my commuter train. Some I download...and some I scan in as a PDF file. I use my eeePC to read with. I have found it much easier to read on the eeePC than the Palm that I use to use.

Thanks for the links to Project Gutenburg and Baen Books.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have to admit that I'm utterly buried in the past in that I dislike reading books on screen. I vastly prefer a volume in-hand, with it's tactile and olfactory components contributing to the reading experience.
Hey Suke :) I could not agree more.. so much for the paperless office notion.. I print out the e-book, double sided of course and get a pal to guillotine and bind it for me, pffft.. I do not mind looking the pauper on the Picadilly line with my spiral bound cheapness, ha! I get a random image on the front of a drill or knickers or a cup just to confuse the nosey people opposite :)
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol: Love the idea of your adorning the front with an unrelated image :D. Also, you are not alone in printing out the electronic media for consumption :eek:.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
I use it to 'taste test' authors but I have to admit that I'm utterly buried in the past in that I dislike reading books on screen. I vastly prefer a volume in-hand, with it's tactile and olfactory components contributing to the reading experience.

Suke, I have to admit that it took a while but non-paper books are perfect for my commuting and I don't mind reading from the screen. In my job, my laptop is chock full of technical books and manual for reference anyway...so I had to learn to use this.

Now at home or whilst on holiday, I HAVE to have the real thing. That, along with the appropriate drink is the way to read.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love e-books. I have found that they are excellently priced. Personally I am moving all of my publishing efforts to e-books.
icon6.gif

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hate reading on screen and cannot do it long (blessed that I do not have to work often with computers) It is something I am trying to work on as I see the future and e-books seem to be the trend. For now I will not buy one. I recently moved and now live maybe 5 minutes from a public library (20 minute slow walk) so I have been going there once a week to read biography’s and other books that interest me but that I have no interest in buying or room for keeping.

Thanks for the links (I bookmarked them), perhaps given time these e-books will become tolerable but I doubt at least in my case they ever become preferable.

Warmest regards
Brian King

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I hate reading on screen and cannot do it long (blessed that I do not have to work often with computers) It is something I am trying to work on as I see the future and e-books seem to be the trend.

I with you, I can't read books online, I have tried but I just can't stare at the screen that long, it really starts to bother my eyes

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my line of work and play I spend nearly all day staring at a VDU of one sort or another, so it is a welcome break to do my leisure reading the old-fashioned way.

Plus, I can do that without power, the only light I need is a candle and I can sit or lie how I want. The other bonus is my library - I can walk in and browse the shelves looking for something to take my fancy. An electronic equivalent just wouldn't be as satisfying for me.

I can see the attraction for commuter readers tho' and am not by any means detracting from the medium; it's just not for me.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I with you, I can't read books online, I have tried but I just can't stare at the screen that long, it really starts to bother my eyes

I haven't had my hands on one yet, but the easy-on-the-eye display technology is being promoted as the most important innovation in the Kindle. "Electronic paper" I think they call it. although it doesn't look special in the photos (probably because I am looking at them on a computer screen!)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hadn't seen the Baen library before - thanks! I have used Project Gutenberg a lot. I will read eBooks on my Palm on trips, to avoid having to take lots of books - but I prefer paper copies; there's less problem glare, no batteries, and I like the way a book feels in my hands. I'm sure I'll get used to clicking a button instead of turning a page eventually - but right now, it interferes with my enjoyment of the writing.

Latest Discussions