Dynamite K-1 event

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here are the results of last nights Dynamite K-1 event

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/feg/k-1gp/b04_1231.htm

The only decent fight was the Ray Sefo/Gary Goodridge fight.

Sefo destroyed Goodridge. Sefo "you da man!"

The worst had to be Cyril Abidi vs Bobby Ologon.

Abidi is a kickboxer and Ologon is some idiot that managed to get on Japanese TV by making goofy faces and talking in a stupid voice. The fight rules were sort of MMA except Abidi had to wear shoes which meant he was not allowed to kick…..hmmm a kickboxer that is not allowed to kick and then stuck in MMA rules….interesting concept…why didn’t they just blindfold him as well….anyway, no really good punches were thrown and nobody tapped out. It was 3 round of mostly rolling around on the floor….pretty boring.

Then there was Akebono vs Gracie.

Akebono needs to give up fighting….he sucks at it. I mean come on…..Gracie came to Camp Zama (where I worked) a few years ago and gave a demo. So just for fun we did a strength test on the using Microfit strength measuring system….he was “average” strength for males his age. Which shocked me actually since I thought he was a lot stronger. Plus he is only 180lbs. So here is a guy of “average” strength, 180 lbs, going against someone who is twice his body weight and kicking his ***……can you say smart fighter against dumb fighter? I sure can. Akebono you need to quit K-1.

M

monkey-a-go-go

I "sorta" have talked to you via a pinan kata discussion on the kenpo side. I have read your posts and appreciate you sharing your experience, first off. Did you get to attend? It seems japanese fans cross attend these mega- event weekends. I can only imagine what it must be like. Although I am not sure how the response is enmass- the only thing I have to compare it to is sold-out college football mania with rabid fans lol. I know the japanese fans are very educated to all aspects to the fight game I am sure the reaction is nothing similar :) . What the heck is K-1 doing with all freak shows and mixed rules?! Mark Hunt won in pride and I wonder what that was like. Big mistake for Silva to take him as a short notice opponent. And I respect the Gracies but I think Emanuelle Yarbouragh (sp?) back in the day would have drove him crazy. Royce has a book here in the states with his personal trainer on conditioning so he should be up to it now lol! No Bom Bye Yae this year- Jungle Fight makes money?? Have a good and injury free New Year- as it seems you walk your talk.

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
monkey-a-go-go said:
I "sorta" have talked to you via a pinan kata discussion on the kenpo side. I have read your posts and appreciate you sharing your experience, first off. Did you get to attend? It seems japanese fans cross attend these mega- event weekends. I can only imagine what it must be like. Although I am not sure how the response is enmass- the only thing I have to compare it to is sold-out college football mania with rabid fans lol. I know the japanese fans are very educated to all aspects to the fight game I am sure the reaction is nothing similar :) . What the heck is K-1 doing with all freak shows and mixed rules?! Mark Hunt won in pride and I wonder what that was like. Big mistake for Silva to take him as a short notice opponent. And I respect the Gracies but I think Emanuelle Yarbouragh (sp?) back in the day would have drove him crazy. Royce has a book here in the states with his personal trainer on conditioning so he should be up to it now lol! No Bom Bye Yae this year- Jungle Fight makes money?? Have a good and injury free New Year- as it seems you walk your talk.
K-1 has gone the way of the freak show and Wrestle-mania. It all boils down to money. What once was a good thing has gone done the toilet.

My good friend was trying to get a fight in K-1 and almost did….then the freak show element started to creap in and he decided to go with Pride instead. I think he will do pretty well there too, he is big, about 6’4” and a VERY lean 280lbs. and he is tough and strong as as hell.

Mark Hunt is another one of my favorites….he’s a good tough fighter.

Gracie was smart to get a personal trainer. The guy could use a bit of strength, has got the stamina, and technique down cold just needs the “insurance” of having a bit of bulk to fall back on.
I think Randy Cotour (sp?) at 40+ years old could still give all the Gracies a good fight.

M

monkey-a-go-go

I apologize if there was any spoiling outcome wise for any fans. I checked around and the info has been out a while. I remember when K-1 took the angle that their guys were trained professional fighters and the mma guys were brawlers- alot has changed indeed. Couture is unbelievable. His guys did everything right with regards to training. Coleman and randleman always seemed to say after fights next time we'll learn submission, next time we'll work striking etc. The team quest guys just were committed to adapting. I have never seen anything like Randlemans suplex on the Russian Fedor. I have no idea how Fedor survived let alone won. Scary natural ability and I think trained zero for that fight due to personal problems. Hunt I think will make the transition. Just a bad call for Silva to take the fight. A bad match up style wise. Sakuraba is all time in my book- all those classic fights while heavily drinking to the point of liver damage!? K-1 hope fully will get back to high level kickboxing. Good luck to your friend.

Latest Discussions