DVD series

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
If there is one dvd series you would love to get or one you would highly recommend, which one and why?

I'm currently looking to pick up the latest Marcelo Garcia series,
definetely one of the greatest grapplers around.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must admit I haven't heard of Marcelo Garcia, I shall have to look out for it. I like the Vitor Belfort series, the half speed as well as full speed demos suit me.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Easily the one DVD series I would get if I could would be the Saulo Ribeiro Jiu-Jitsu Revolution 1 & 2. I borrowed a couple of the DVD's from a buddy, and I must say that he teaches the fundamental concepts of the positions and shows the hows and whys extremely well.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got Marcelo Garcia's Series 1, it's amazing stuff.
I imagine I'll end up getting the other series as well. Look for them on Ebay, you can usually get a 'buy it now' on them at 60-70 US.

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen "Choke"?. It is a documentary about the Vale Tudo a few years back.

OP
SensibleManiac

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it's basically a documentary on Rickson Gracie and the Vale tudo tournament. I would highly recommend everyone interested in grappling to check that out.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am new to jiu jitsu and have only seen one dvd set which was by Renzo Gracie. From my limited knowledge I found it pretty informative.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Reaction score
I've heard that Mario Sperry's videos are good. Panther has some good "classic" or "vintage" DVDs available through Century.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mastering the Rubber Guard - Eddie Bravo

I have it and I love it! Very good instruction and video. Just make sure the kiddos arent around when you view it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OH boy there are so many out there and some are great and others well not so good. Mario Sperry's ones have always been highly recommended. You can also pick up quite a few of the panther ones very cheap $9.99 but the quality is some times just okay.
icon6.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know after this thread I pulled out some of the old Panther Video Series Vintage BJJ. Of all the ones I looked at Allen Goes videos were pretty good. Basic, very basic video and video editing but you could follow the gist of what he was saying and for $9 that is not to bad.
icon6.gif

I still think Mario Sperry's are the best overall grouping of videos. The Gracie Videos that Rorion sells are good in that you see a technique repeated over and over again but they are really pricey for what you actually get in technique. Still I remember them fondly from when I was first starting out at a Gracie Jiujitsu Academy and supplemented my training with them. Gracie in Actioni ahhh the good old days!
icon6.gif

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mastering the Rubber Guard - Eddie Bravo

I have it and I love it! Very good instruction and video. Just make sure the kiddos arent around when you view it.

I cant stand Eddie Bravo, he is such a douche. Video may be great but I wouldnt give that guy any money for anything.

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I cant stand Eddie Bravo, he is such a douche. Video may be great but I wouldnt give that guy any money for anything.

Exactly, he's trashy and his books are insulting to the average reader. Nobody gives two ***** if he smokes weed or not. I would not pay any money for anything of his based solely on his presentation of himself.

STL FREESTYLE

White Belt
Reaction score
The Straight Blast Gym Functional JKD series has alot of good high percentage basic jui jitsu. Also check out anything by Rani Yahya.

Latest Discussions