Dumb or Bad Ideas in the Martial Arts

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, This one is from 70's. My friends and I use to shoot pool at the cornor shopping center and on the 2nd floor a "Japanese International Karate" were promoting be a BLACK BELT in 12 months. The school always seems busy.
Aloha
Hrmm.. I would be as wary of "Get your black belt in 12 months" as I would "Sushi, 1/2 price".

OP
M

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone using "Professor" to denote themselves as a martial arts instructor. A Professor is an accredited instructor teaching academic subjects at a recognized College or University. Has nothing to do with martial arts.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or worse, watches a couple of Billy Blanks videos and copies what he does.

Hey, I've seen a couple of Billy Blanks videos..TC 2000 is the only one I can remember the title of, but I think I've seen him in another...

OP
M

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Billy Blanks' videos usually get returned to the store before the tape is finished. I can't watch them. Anyone remember "King of the Kickboxers"?

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
masherdong said:
Promoting kids to Black Belt
Dojos that promote to quickly. Getting promoted to BB in a year and a half? C'mon now.
Gotcha beat on that one................

I know of a kung fu instructor in ohio who would give you a black belt
in 6-8 months...........
beat that!

oh yea...he's STILL teaching...and now has added aerobic kickboxing!
woohoo!

:shrug:

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ok....

I have one for the olde timers.........................
fess up.....
who owned a pair of "kicking" jeans by bill wallace or .....chuck norriss' model?!

K

Kempogeek

Bammx2 said:
ok....

I have one for the olde timers.........................
fess up.....
who owned a pair of "kicking" jeans by bill wallace or .....chuck norriss' model?!
Geez!! I remember seeing the ads in my Karate Illustrated magazines in the early 80's. Since I was a teenager then, does that make me an old timer? Going to be 38 this month. Best regards, Steve

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
kicking jeans... you got me interested... *wonders why they dont make em anymore*

did they come in low rise hip-hugger with the flaired leg?

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Billy Blanks' videos usually get returned to the store before the tape is finished. I can't watch them. Anyone remember "King of the Kickboxers"?
King of the kickboxers is an amazing film! One of the best crap films ever. There are not many martial arts films i've seen that i've laughed harder at. i mean billy blanks comes out with some great lines.."SOMETHING TO REMEMBER ME BY!" as he kicks the young lad unconscious...."THEY'RE WAITING FOR ME!" swiftly followed by some bruising but completely ridiculous moves.
The only better crap martial arts film is bloodfight with bolo yeung. Old man in the final fight gets his head completely kicked in by bolo, has his mandatory van damme style power up moment, which involves a flashback to earlier beatings etc. Powers up, stands up revitalised for a second go at bolo. Bolo immediately drops him again!
i was on the floor with laughter watching that one..!

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kempogeek said:
Geez!! I remember seeing the ads in my Karate Illustrated magazines in the early 80's. Since I was a teenager then, does that make me an old timer? Going to be 38 this month. Best regards, Steve

yes it does!!!!!!!!!

I was a teenager and had a pair myself,I must've made someone mad...I got a pair for my birthday:erg:

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Samantha said:
kicking jeans... you got me interested... *wonders why they dont make em anymore*

did they come in low rise hip-hugger with the flaired leg?
They were jeans made by Century that were cut like gi pants in the crotch so you could kick higher.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Federations upon organizations upon associations upon etc. etc.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
They were jeans made by Century that were cut like gi pants in the crotch so you could kick higher.
weird. I always thought gi pants were strange - I don't like them much.
the concept of jeans like this makes me feel better about gi bottoms, though....

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
I know of a kung fu instructor in ohio who would give you a black belt
in 6-8 months...........
beat that!

oh yea...he's STILL teaching...and now has added aerobic kickboxing!
woohoo!

Nice! :rolleyes:

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Samantha said:
weird. I always thought gi pants were strange - I don't like them much.
the concept of jeans like this makes me feel better about gi bottoms, though....
I think it's a "guy" thing........

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Federations upon organizations upon associations upon etc. etc.

That and so many patches they look like they could enter a NASCAR race

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
I think it's a "guy" thing........
the liking of kicking pants or the (obvious) crotch of the gi pants?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kempogeek said:
I remember the CN Kicking jeans from Century-they looked really cool...but never bought a pair. Remember the "stone washed" black denim uniform he advertised? That looked cool too...

BTW, Karate Illustrated was good, but I don't think you are an old timer unless you subscribed to Official Karate. :)

Miles

Latest Discussions