drawing of a samurai sword

kempo108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
when your sword is in the scabbard, should the blade be facing up or down? and same question applies when drawing it and putting in back. i have been getting mixed answers from people i have talked to.

BushidoUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
if we're talking about a Japanese katana then the sword should curve down and the sharp edge should face up, unless its worn as a horse riding style in which case it is worn the same as a western sword would be.
When drawn and replaced, it depends on the style of aido or aijitsu, some twist the sword 90 degrees, to draw and sheath the sword, other styles draw as is. Im sure there are many more ways but thats the methods Ive been taught.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you know i tried to say something similar and it came out....well twist 90 degrees when drawing the blade is what i meant, i am not sure i said it though.

thanks ...art is simplicity

Respectfully,
Marlon

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the JSA I practice, the sword is worn on the left side, the sharp side of the blade facing up.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you asking because you're just curious or are you asking because you want to do some sword work on your own? If the later is the case then I strongly suggest finding (good luck) a qualified iado or iajutsu instructor to get the full impact of doing sword work. Others have already answered your original question better than I could but I just thought I'd throw my two cents worth in there. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
In the JSA I practice, the sword is worn on the left side, the sharp side of the blade facing up.
That's how it was when I studied iaido. Sometimes we'd twist it 90 degrees before drawing it. One technique twisted it 180 degrees first.

OP
K

kempo108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
our art doesnt really included the katana. but my instructor learned a form with it, and was teaching me. my instructor had it turn in 90 degrees from the sharp side being down. but i thought it was sharp side up. i was looking for more of a definate answer, but it looks like it varies between styles and techniques.

M

MisterMike

I use a straight blade which when worn on my back is drawn over my right shoulder.

:rolleyes:

Just kidding...some common draws involve turning the saya from the edge up position and noto can be done that way as well as in the blade up position.

Returning the katana to your back is fun to practice too... :rolleyes: ok, just kidding again...

You might want to check around for some schools in your area. It varies with style.

H

Hyaku

If it's Buke Zukuri mount (thrust in the obi) it is worn edge up.

Drawing can be made with edge up or down. But few ryu teach drawing with the edge down. Edge down style is usually older iaijutsu waza and is practical for longer weapons that could be in a tachi mount.

To do noto (replace the blade) it's done with the edge up so the inside of the saya is not damaged. But what one has to bear in mind is that noto is not necessary and has been turned into a very theatrical movement. Years ago one would retreat to a safe distance clean the blade at ones leisure and replace it.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For standard draws, the sword's edge should be pointing up. This seems to be the more natural "fit" when

The only time I've had the edge pointing downwards, is when performing a reverse grip draw that cuts upwards as well.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
The only time I've had the edge pointing downwards, is when performing a reverse grip draw that cuts upwards as well.
Yup, that's the one I was thinking of, from the standard iaido set.

H

Hyaku

arnisador said:
Yup, that's the one I was thinking of, from the standard iaido set.

What's "standard iaido set". Some of us do practice classical ryu as well as having done seitei then MJER etc for some years.

What better way than cut up between someones legs or under the arms as a primary draw. Although Battojutsu is usually done with weapon already drawn. Military blades were worn in a slung fashion.

I think an open mind should be kept towards the fact that we dont all sit in seiza doing "Mae".

http://www.rapidjournal.com/index.htm

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
I think Hyaku was just avoiding gross over generalisations.

There are a lot of ryuha that do some basic kata that has the same gist as the ZENKENREN's Seitei iai, but are done slightly differently.

But then again there are other ryuha that don't use that pattern as Hyaku has said. I know that Shojitsu Kataichi Kenri-ryu don't use it and neither does Kage-ryu.

You can't really pin down ryuha or categorize them since they all have their own individualistic rituals & characteristics.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh yes, I know that there are lots of traditional styles out there that either do not use, or at least do not emphasize, the ZNKR stndardized forms. But, most people who are familiar with iaido (battojutsu, etc.) will know what they are.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I suspect that it is true, that many, if not maybe most, non-ZNKR iaidoka would know what the Seitei Iai kata are, but most of us wouldn't be able to tell you what they look like.

H

Hyaku

My apologies for being a little abrupt.

Thirty years ago in Europe five made up kata designed for ZNKR was all you could get. Even today it still holds a dominant place. At that time I remember asking Japanese teachers, "Is there anything around that resembles something more along classical lines". But no one had seen much and really had no interest. They were happy with the Sogo (community) Budo and the, by the manual set of kata and a dan grading system. Sitting in seiza and doing something that identified with post war educational sword values is fine with some.

Then you have another set of values that identifies and deals with the atrocious, horrific injuries inflicted by a weapon. That tell us to pick it up and learn occasionaly but apart from that put it away somewhere and only use it if your life, family or country is attacked.

The question, having the blade up or down can be a bit more complicated than a simple draw. If some people have read some threads on other forums, the present attitudes towards tameshigiri and a good upward draw to cut kiriage are not too popular in some associations. But nevertheless it alive and well for a lot of people. Some prefectures have quite a large population of battojutsu. Hence the prime importance of learning the heart before you even pick one up.

All in all and make no mistake whichever way you draw, Yasukuni Shrine is the pilgramage that Budoka want to make if they are in Tokyo.

T

Troy Ostapiw/Canada

When I studied ken-jutsu with the Bujinkan the majority of the sword drawing was done with the blade up, unless we were trying to be sneaky......then there were times when we would rotate the blade. Play with both methods and see what you like better....Good luck

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
For Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu the saya (scabbard) turns at whichever angle the sword will make it's cut when drawing. Like if I am going to cut across, the edge will be turned 90 degrees by the saya prior to the actual cut.

For Nami Ryu, the saya does not turn at all, that once the kissaki (tip) is out clear from the saya being pulled off the blade, then the blade can be turned independantly at whichever desired angle to cut at.

Latest Discussions