Dragon Times Newsletter.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The last issue of Dragon Times was Vol. 23. They decided to go from newsprint to a slick magazine in order to increase newstand exposure and hence sales. The magazine is named Classical Fighting Arts and I have seen it on stands recently. Their website is www.dragon-tsunami.org; for the magazine itself, see here:
http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Cfa/Pages/cfahome.htm

I always thought Dragon Times had high-quality material. I hope the quest for popularity doesn't bring their new magazine down to the level of Black Belt etc. There are some great online articles available:
http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Dtimes/Pages/articlea.htm

A

andurilking2

i live prettty far from civilization but i am interested in ordering the magazine, so everyone's general opinion is

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is anyone reading Classical Fighting Arts? I wonder if it'll survive!

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dragon Times was an outstanding publication in my opinion. I would also like to see the new and improved version from the same publisher. Does anyone who has read some of each of any insight?

P

pknox

Originally posted by Trent
Dragon Times was an outstanding publication in my opinion. I would also like to see the new and improved version from the same publisher. Does anyone who has read some of each of any insight?

I read it before, and I still do. The quality of the articles hasn't changed a bit, just the format. If anything, I like it better now, since the "newspaper style" version always used to end up getting ripped. The magazine stays together nicely now.

The mag has a distribution deal with Borders, and according to the publisher, the format changes were done to ensure an even wider distribution -- if this is true, we should see more of it, if anything.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I got it back when it was in it's newspaper format. Always thought it was a good read. Now after checking out the website, decided to subscribe to it, so now I look forward to receiving it again.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I've only seen the first issue so far--is the second one out yet?

P

pknox

The one I have has Tak Kubota on the cover, and is labeled "Issue #2" in the top right-hand corner, so I believe it is the next one. Interesting article by Harry Cook on the evolution of traditional Karate, as well as Part IV in the TKD history series. Pretty good issue. Come to think of it, it's been out for a bit, so #3 should be coming soon.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I finally saw #2 today at a Borders. Still a good magazine with high-quality articles.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was flipping through the latest issue of Classical Fighting Arts today. There's a lengthy editorial slamming Internet fora like this one (though no forum is mentioned by name). It was kind of puerile, really.

Latest Discussions