Dr. Chape'l in Omaha

slomokenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm definately by no means an authority on this, but, no, by using C-steps it breaks down your structural integrity/bone alignment and weakens your stance? I may have my terminology wrong here, but Dr. Chapel can enlighten you on the subject! I'm sure he would gladly explain it to you correctly. And if you're in or ever visit L.A., stop by his studio, because feeling is believing! I've never been so excited from doing stance work! Although I still find myself doing c-steps without realizing it from the countless reps of them from Goju Ryu when I was a kid. It seems like we even used them in our forms when I did Tracy's Kenpo in the early 90's. Hopefully Dr. Chapel will reply to your question and get it squared away!

Duke
www.blackdragonwoodcraft.com

The Kai said:
So you are not supposed to do C-steps??

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
David,

Great job on promoting the event! :partyon: In my opinion, that was the biggest Midwest Kenpo event of the year!!

I hope your instructors keep you in charge of promoting all events. You managed to cover all the bases!

The promotion for last year's event with Sijo Gascon was nowhere near the amount of effort you put into last week's event. :waah: It was a tragedy that lots of us found out about it after the fact. :waah:

Out of curiosity, did the Omaha Nick Cerio school attend? Although I missed your event this time around*, I made it up to their event with Professor Kimo Ferreira.

Take care and keep us posted on future events!

Andrew

*Datu Kelly Worden is someone not to be missed and anytime he is within seven hours of us (this time was Denver), we tend to go.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tad said:
I just had the most wonderful day. Yesterday Dr. Chape'l was giving a seminar in Omaha. We were taught about PAM, BAM, how to do better stances (basics) and indexing. The information was just mind blowing stuff. Regardless of what some might think about Dr. Chape'l, I personally think he was absolutely the best. He not only wanted us to try something new, but wanted us to test it to see if it worked. I have to tell you it works every time you use it. I'm going to have to go through all the techniques that I know to see where I can use this info. I know its going to make my kenpo better than it was before. I just wanted to say a big thank you to Dr. Chape'l and Mr. Angell for making the trip out here. I also wanted to thank Mr. Geary's Shaolin Kempo Karate for bringing them out. Dr. Chape'l I hope to see you again and I hope you continue to get better from your surgery. :asian:

Tad A. Werneburg
Here in tall corn Iowa
Thank you sir. I had a really good time with really good people. See you soon.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
slomokenpo said:
I'm definately by no means an authority on this, but, no, by using C-steps it breaks down your structural integrity/bone alignment and weakens your stance? I may have my terminology wrong here, but Dr. Chapel can enlighten you on the subject! I'm sure he would gladly explain it to you correctly. And if you're in or ever visit L.A., stop by his studio, because feeling is believing! I've never been so excited from doing stance work! Although I still find myself doing c-steps without realizing it from the countless reps of them from Goju Ryu when I was a kid. It seems like we even used them in our forms when I did Tracy's Kenpo in the early 90's. Hopefully Dr. Chapel will reply to your question and get it squared away!

Duke
www.blackdragonwoodcraft.com
So you were listening uh?:) Couldn't have said it better.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
So you are not supposed to do C-steps??
No. Moving forward in a classic "C" step fashoin is incorrect footwork when moving forward in the same stance. Historically its roots lie in many areas. Some traditional, some cultural, but anatomically all wrong.

Simply as I can put it, the "c" step essentially fools the body into thinking you are moving laterally and destroys front to back structural integrity.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ray said:
Thank you Mr. Chapél and Mr. Angell for sharing your knowledge at the seminars. It was wonderful to meet you and to learn from you. Thanks also to Geary's Shaolin Kempo for sponsering the event.

I, too, will be pondering and working to see where I can best incorporate what Mr. Chapel shared.

Another awesome benefit was to meet some of the other midwestern kenpo practitioners.
It truly was my pleasure sir.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Thanks for your support, gentlemen. I agree, it was mind-blowing! My style is not American Kenpo, but we have already started the process of examining how we do our techniques to find where to build in these structural enhancements. I think we might have to work a bit harder at that than you guys who already do AK (will we continue to do C-steps?), since your techniques came from Mr. Parker and so did the SL4 material and so it should really sortof be close already, yes? But I think we will have a good time looking for them anyway.

On Day 2 Doc taught us the SL4 "Stance Set" their first and most basic form, which teaches the transitions between stances and changing directions and much more I am sure... He did authorize us to make available to participants a copy of the video we recorded on Day 2 so that you can have it as a reference for practicing that set. After 1.5 hours of that my legs were jelly.

On Day 1 Doc taught us some principles of body mechanics - upper and lower platforms, associated and disassociated movement, muscle reassignment, "shields up/shields down", indexing and muscle recruitment, "everything matters", startle reflex and the visual cortex. I had a guy who was well over 200 lbs ("candygram for Mongo!!") trying to pull down my upward block, or to push me out of my bow stance and he could not do it. I wasn't even exerting myself, relaxed, "unbendable arm". If it wasn't my own arm doing it I would not have believed it. But it was, so I do. :D

On friday before the seminar Doc visited our schools, and spent some time with our Founder Prof. Christopher Geary. For me this was one of the most interesting parts of the entire weekend, as Doc analyzed the structure of some of our techniques, offering suggestions and analyses on the techniques' origin and efficacy ("oh yeah that one is all Nick Cerio. He loved that kind of stuff... but it's junk, try it like this...") Watching the interaction between Professors Geary and Chapel was like an injection of martial arts information directly into the center of my brain... so much information to digest...

I can say without a doubt Doc Chapel is one of the nicest people I have ever met, a gentleman and a scholar, and an excellent teacher. Yes we paid him to come but the personal sacrifices he made & challenges he faced to get here and teach us are a testament to the size and quality of his character. He's a big guy but his heart is even bigger :) Doc, please watch out for those midnight double cheesburgers... they are bad for you, you know, and we need you healthy for a long time to come!!! Sonic does make great burgers,and I think you are correct that they would do great in California. Maybe we need to contact them about a franchise deal LOL. We all really enjoyed the stories about Mr Parker, Bruce Lee, Mitose and Chow, Samoan picnics, Hawaiian "second breakfast", and all the other Kenpo and Martial arts legends you've known over the last few decades. You've got to find a way to preserve that stuff for future generations, the material in your head and under your bed! You sould treat those films and memorabilia like criminal evidence, take care of it, preserve it, track it. Please?

And don't let me forget Ryan "Bob" Angell! Ryan, you showed every bit as much class as Mr. Chapel and it was a pleasure to have you out as well. Having you there really helped to multiply the amount of detailed instruction we were all able to get individually as you worked with us. And how did you eat a double cheesburger and large tots at midnight (on the way home from the chinese restaurant!!)... ??? You guys are nuts!

Thanks to everyone who came out (let me apologize in advance if I forget anyone, I am working from memory here):
Mr Walter Justice of Ta-Dow! Kenpo and his very sweet wife whose name I have no idea how to spell :) "E.C." is that close? I look forward to seeing you both again :) Duke Whittaker, a pleasure to meet you finally face to face, sir :) Tad and Ray from Creston; Dave Mondo from Des Moines Tiger And Dragon Kenpo; Thomas Howard and the crew from the Nebraska Hapkido Federation; Gary Boaz from Professional Martial Arts in Topeka, Ks; and all the students from our schools in Omaha. It would have been less of a success without each and every one of you!

I don't know what else to say except - Doc Chapel delivered! Everything you read about SL-4, as crazy as it might sound, as hard as it might be to hear... try it and you will be a believer. Drink the Kool-aid. It's yummy! You kenpo people who live down there near him and don't at least go see for yourself are making a big mistake. Don't be an ostrich. Don't let politics, history, and bad blood that has nothing to do with you and your Kenpo prevent you from being your best. What he has to say about what you've been taught might be hard to hear, it might challenge your ego... but approach it with an open mind and no ego and you might just change your (kenpo) life. What do you have to lose? If I am wrong, if SL-4 is not what it claims... what have you lost? A few hours and a few dollars. But if it's true - if SL-4 is all it claims to be... well then what you have lost is the blinders from your eyes. But I warn you, you cannot put the genie back on the bottle. You may not be able to go back where you were.

I must say the trip to Omaha produced some very pleasant experiences for me inspite of recovering from my surgery. I met some of the best and brightest people I've seen in a seminar since my last trip to Europe. Not only did everyone ask great questions, they even delivered some great answers back.

Shawn and Dave are the best. Meeting them and their lovely families were worth the trip alone. I also met Mr. Walter Justice and his sweet wife as well. Really good people. I had a blast with "Candygram for Mongo" Dave Mondo, and the entire group. Can't wait to interact with the group again. Sorry I can't recall all the names off hand but really everyone was great and truly sharp.

When you guys come to LA I'll show you what real Chinese Food is all about. Ed Parker taught me that too. Oh yeah, I just had to have a Sonic Burger before I left town, but Ryan Angell eats like that all the time. Out here we do "In-and-Out" Burger. Well,... and "Fatburger." And then there's that stand over by the Federal Courthouse ...
Ummmmm, looks like we have our work cut out for us.:)

Love you guys, and Ryan Angell sends his best.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
When you guys come to LA I'll show you what real Chinese Food is all about. Ed Parker taught me that too. Oh yeah, I just had to have a Sonic Burger before I left town, but Ryan Angell eats like that all the time. Out here we do "In-and-Out" Burger. Well,... and "Fatburger." And then there's that stand over by the Federal Courthouse ...

Don't forget to show them Tommy's! mmmm....Tommy's....*cue homer simpson garble*

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Evans said:
David,

Great job on promoting the event! :partyon: In my opinion, that was the biggest Midwest Kenpo event of the year!!

I hope your instructors keep you in charge of promoting all events. You managed to cover all the bases!

The promotion for last year's event with Sijo Gascon was nowhere near the amount of effort you put into last week's event. :waah: It was a tragedy that lots of us found out about it after the fact. :waah:

Out of curiosity, did the Omaha Nick Cerio school attend? Although I missed your event this time around*, I made it up to their event with Professor Kimo Ferreira.

Take care and keep us posted on future events!

Andrew

*Datu Kelly Worden is someone not to be missed and anytime he is within seven hours of us (this time was Denver), we tend to go.

Thanks, it was a lot of work, but planning ahead made it possible. I think we started talking to Doc about 4 months earlier. Started promoting it through e-mails at least 2 months early. USPS mail 1 month out. Luckily finding hall space to rent (since we anticipated more than our dojo could hold) was not that bad since I still ahd some lists around from my wedding last year :) But you have to do that at least 2 months early too.

Due to some things in the long-ago history of the 2 schools (long before I was around), the NCK guys don't go to our events and we don't go to their events. It's too bad, really, but so far I think I've been on the "greener grass" (Sijo Gascon, Doc Chapel, Hanshi Angel... I've done OK)

We never tried to promote the the Sijo Gascon event outside our schools, I think the short seminar that was held after the promotion ceremony was just an extra treat. Sijo Gascon did not conduct the seminar, it was Professor Michael Rash and Sigung Brad Namhoe, who both taught us some very interesting things :)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doc said:
I must say the trip to Omaha produced some very pleasant experiences for me inspite of recovering from my surgery. I met some of the best and brightest people I've seen in a seminar since my last trip to Europe. Not only did everyone ask great questions, they even delivered some great answers back.

Shawn and Dave are the best. Meeting them and their lovely families were worth the trip alone. I also met Mr. Walter Justice and his sweet wife as well. Really good people. I had a blast with "Candygram for Mongo" Dave Mondo, and the entire group. Can't wait to interact with the group again. Sorry I can't recall all the names off hand but really everyone was great and truly sharp.

You are too kind, :) I guess we have to start planning the next event soon LOL I think Dave Mondo wanted to host the next one :)

If the Chinese food couldn't compete with LA's chinatown, I hope the Nebraska Beef made up for it :D I'm on my way to Sonic right now.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most of our pics are still trapped in Shihan Steiner's computer while he moves to a new house... but here are a few

It's been said I've managed to hog up all the pretty girls and all the ugly at the same time...
family.jpg

I just know I'm very lucky

here is Doc teaching me to shoot chi-balls from my fingertips.
fingerbones.jpg

to be more specific, that would be "anatomical aligment balls"

3 great martial artists... and a blue belt
thumbsup.jpg

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
You are too kind, :) I guess we have to start planning the next event soon LOL I think Dave Mondo wanted to host the next one :)

If the Chinese food couldn't compete with LA's chinatown, I hope the Nebraska Beef made up for it :D I'm on my way to Sonic right now.
Best steak I ever had, and UCLA and the Cornhuslers won. What more could I ask for?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Most of our pics are still trapped in Shihan Steiner's computer while he moves to a new house... but here are a few

It's been said I've managed to hog up all the pretty girls and all the ugly at the same time...
family.jpg

I just know I'm very lucky

here is Doc teaching me to shoot chi-balls from my fingertips.
fingerbones.jpg

to be more specific, that would be "anatomical aligment balls"

3 great martial artists... and a blue belt
thumbsup.jpg
I'll confirm the "pretty" part. The rest speaks for itself. :)

Latest Discussions