Double weighted, single weighted, brute force, dead force, ...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Boxers, MMA guys, wrestlers, Judo guys pay no attention on those terms, they can still do whatever they need to do. Some MA systems like to talk about it as if it's a big deal.

During my early grade school years, all my exam had a section that you try to correct the error in a sentence.

Such as:

1. Telephone's book -> telephone book
2. Book of telephone -> telephone book
3. He have -> He has
4. I do ... yesterday -> I did ... yesterday.
5. ...

Later on teacher found out that some students might remember the wrong way of doing instead of remembering the right way of doing.

If something was never an issue to you, why should you care about it? IMO, we should talk about the right way of doing thing. We should not talk about the wrong way of doing thing.

Your thought?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
er...um... I got so bored watching that video I forgot what I was going to say. :p

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never even heard these terms before.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's WAAAAY too much pseudoscience (and just made up nonsense) in traditional MA.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got 10 minutes in to that video before I started nodding off. It seems like a lot of nonsense to me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, we should talk about the right way of doing thing. We should not talk about the wrong way of doing thing.

Your thought?

I agree. Unless you're pointing out something to a student, like a mistake he's prone to, or a trap he's about to fall into, I'm only concerned about the right way of doing things.

But that vid. At first I was all...

DogHeadTilt.gif

But then it dawned on me. It's just a different terminology, but one I'm familiar with from the past.

The Three Stooges Speak Yiddish

I happen to speak fluent Stooge.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some people define double weighted as your opponent puts you into a situation that you can't change.

If double weighted (unable to change) can only happen from your opponent's attack, should you spend your training time to learn how to counter his attack so he won't put you in such situation?

For example,

- You move around your opponent that his hands can't touch you, the double weighted will never occur.
- Your opponent sweeps/hooks your leg, you bend your leg an let his leg to go under.
- Your opponent pushes you, you spin your body, and lead him into the emptiness.

When your opponent's attack put you in double weighted (unable to change), it's not your double weighed problem, it's the problem that you can't counter your opponent's attack.

Example of your opponent put you into a situation that you can't change.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some people define double weighted as your opponent puts you into a situation that you can't change.

If double weighted (unable to change) can only happen from your opponent's attack, should you spend your training time to learn how to counter his attack so he won't put you in such situation?

For example,

- You move around your opponent that his hands can't touch you, the double weighted will never occur.
- Your opponent sweeps/hooks your leg, you bend your leg an let his leg to go under.
- Your opponent pushes you, you spin your body, and lead him into the emptiness.

When your opponent's attack put you in double weighted (unable to change), it's not your double weighed problem, it's the problem that you can't counter your opponent's attack.

Example of your opponent put you into a situation that you can't change.

Are we talking about a no-win situation? Are we talking about the point at which you have to tap? The point at which your structure is broken and your adversary has the advantage? Are we talking about stances?

I'm still not entirely sure what we're supposed to be discussing.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are we talking about a no-win situation? Are we talking about the point at which you have to tap? The point at which your structure is broken and your adversary has the advantage? Are we talking about stances?

I'm still not entirely sure what we're supposed to be discussing.
Sorry that I like to make fun of Taiji people. They like to talk about a lot of theory. Double weighted is one of the theory that they like to talk about. I have always believed that Taiji guys like to make a non issue into a big issue.

Why do they want to do that for? If I say that I know some secret that you don't, it will make me to feel superior.

拳道中樞(大成拳論)

王薌齋

夫均衡非呆板也,稍板則易犯雙重之病,然亦不許過靈,過靈則易趨於華而不實也。須要體舒放屈折含蓄,如發力時,亦不許斷續,所謂力不亡者也。蓋雙重非指兩足部位而言,頭手肩肘膝胯以大小關節,即一點細微之力都有單雙鬆緊虛實輕重之分別,今之拳家大都由片面之單重走向絕對之雙重,更由絕對之雙重而趨於僵死之途。

Section three of Essentials of Martial Arts (dàchéng quán lùn)

by Wáng Xiāngzhāi (the founder of Yiquan)

A balanced person is not stiff, as the slightest stiffness is easy to make the mistake of double weighted; yet it is not over flexible, as over flexible is easy to be slick and not firm. It is necessary to let the body relaxed and rotated, and if force is exerted, it should not be restricted, as in the saying that energy does not die away. In the case of double weighted, it is not limited to the parts of the legs, but it should cover all the large and small joints, such as head, shoulders, elbows, and knees, Even a little bit of force has the differences between single and double, elastic and tightness, void and solid, light and heavy. The current practices of practitioners of martial arts are mostly from a single [stretch] to the absolute double; and from the absolute double, it tends to be stiffened as dead. (Translated by Yeung, 26th December 2018)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions