Dojo layout

teisatsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Let me add this perspecitve for clarification of my thoughts...

From my understanding of things Japanese and Shinto, I don't really see Shinto as a "religeon" per se. Shinto is, to me, the acknowledgement of the inherent spirituality and divinity of everything. Kami, or spirits in Shinto, take lots of forms. Shinto-ists do not see a conflict practicing their respective religeons side by side with Shinto because kami are non-religeon specific. Buddhas (enlightened beings) are, for example, kami. As is Christ (Kami-sama). Therefore, if one practices a form of Buddhism and also happens to be Shinto, and arranges a room (say a dojo) in a certain way to accomodate the doctrines of a Buddhist influence or doctrine, where the kamiza is located is done so that it fits with said influence. Acknowledging the kami residing in the kamidana is done in conjunction with the specific religeous dogma pertaining to the practitioner.

In any case, because Shinto is so universalist in theory and practice, I tend to think that there is not a specific, universal dojo layout. I think that it has more to do with the individual's preferences and based on specific traditional influences independant of Shinto.

Now, based on that... maybe a better question is: Is there a recommended Bujinkan Dojo layout?

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well said Les, I completely agree with what you have said. That being said there are a few universal aspects to the placement. Basicly, it should be located across from the entrance to the Dojo and I do recall being told it should NEVER be placed on the South wall........which may or may not be the TRUE south , but may relate to Mr. Lowrey's article with South being to the back of the students.

Does anyone know what direction the Entrance of the Hombu Dojo is in? The Kamiza is directly accross from that.

Markk Bush

teisatsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the specific Shinto doctrine for kamidana placement that I'm aware of is that the kamidana should face either south (sitting on the north wall) or be facing west (situated on the east side of the room) and be concurrently situated opposite the door. Beyond that, it appears to be simply a matter of how Shinto fits with the rest of the "dogma" present.

Latest Discussions