Dojo dress code?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a question? does anyone's dojo have a specific code (shoes/no shoes, black gi/wjite gi, certain ounce of gi, etc)

Where I study Ninjutsu, our code really does'nt exist. My Instructor even goes so far as to say, "A belt is there to hold your pants up". You could wear a Master Rank Arnis belt for all he cares.

Where I study Aikijutsu is a different story. It is held in a shinto shrine (www.tsubakigrandshrine.com), and we where 14ounce white gi. no shoes, not even Zori.

what about everyone else?

W

wadowoman

We wear white gis. I wear a heavyweight one. Most of my students except some of the seniors where lightweight ones.

In hot weather some choose to wear white gi pants and tee shirt. Code is either plain whit, plain black or club tee shirt (sold at cost)
Sharon

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We wear white basically. But when you get to blue belt, you can get a blue uniform, red - red uniform. It can be mixed up. When black we can wear anything now, all black, black & blue, red and white. It used to be in TKD when we started all we could wear was a white dobok. No shoes in the dojang. No tee shirts for summer, sigh. We have to roll up our sleeves.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We can wear whatever we want pretty much. My instructor frowns on the White Gi, but there is no formal uniform. The only thing is we must wear shoes, and he prefers them to be wrestling shoes. Most of the Students train in Black BDU pants and a tshirt... a few in Gi's... or like me, In a pair of BDU pants, a tshirt and an open Gi jacket with no belt (to simulate an unzipped "street" jacket.)

Unless we go to a seminar, then its Black BDU pants, and a Gi jacket and your belt. And the shoes.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
tabi or bare foot, black dogi pant or hakama, same for the top. Other than that must be clean in appearance and have all proper patches and obi.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At Ninjutsu, like I said before, we can where pretty much anything, but we can't wear shoes unless they are Tabi.

Aikijutsu: after 5th Kyu, we can wear Hakama, and white is preferred.

F

Frank Anford

I've seen a lot of pics on websites with all different t shirts etc. Is this common in ninjutsu schools?

stauburn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Every placed I have trained we usually wore the black gi but everyone ended up in there Tshirts pretty quick. The gi stayed on for bowing in and out of class

E

Elizium

With the dojo that I attend, it can either be Dogi and tabi, tee shirt and dogi bottoms with tabi. Training gear for sport, jogging bottoms and tee shirt if your a beginner ETC.

Mostly as long as you turn up and learn no one cares. You are there to learn not to look smart with pressed starched dogi ETC. as long as they empty their pockets of change, car keys ETC and not have them spilling out over the floor disrupting the flow of training then there you can just walk in and train in street clothes.

Latest Discussions