Dojaangs

K

kwanjang

No worry folks. I've said my piece, and it serves no purpose to go on. While I am at it though, it was refreshing to see Marginal's last entry. I like it when a person has convictions but is willing to listen and even change his or her mind when additional information warrant it. Way to go:)

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not worried either. He won't change my mind, and I certainly don't expect to change his. He just needs to understand that not every member of the Korean martial arts community looks up to him and considers him a role model. I will continue teaching my classes and he can continue appearing in any magazine that will have him and belonging to organizations full of self proclaimed Grandmasters.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To get back on topic:

I think another mark of a good Dojang is one that makes its students feel part of something bigger within the Tae Kwon Do community.
I don't mean taking Tae Kwon Do students to Hapkido seminars or bring in Kuk Sool Won guest Instructors. I mean the Instructor is a valued and active member of the TKD community and the students are allowed to benefit from that experience. There are some schools where the Instructor has broken off from his teacher or is not active within the larger TKD community for some reason. So they teach and judge alone, and possibly bring in teachers from other styles because the Instructor does not have those TKD connections. The students learn in a vacuum.
Our organization has been fortunate to attend tournaments and seminars in various countries worldwide. Our Grandmaster is active with the world Tae Kwon Do community, and has allowed his students to compete against and train with other students and Tae Kwon Do Instructors around the world.
Additionally, at testings our students are fortunate to have judges from around the state and around the country, not just locally or just the Instructor.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
To get back on topic:

I think another mark of a good Dojang is one that makes its students feel part of something bigger within the Tae Kwon Do community.
I don't mean taking Tae Kwon Do students to Hapkido seminars or bring in Kuk Sool Won guest Instructors. I mean the Instructor is a valued and active member of the TKD community and the students are allowed to benefit from that experience. There are some schools where the Instructor has broken off from his teacher or is not active within the larger TKD community for some reason. So they teach and judge alone, and possibly bring in teachers from other styles because the Instructor does not have those TKD connections. The students learn in a vacuum.
Our organization has been fortunate to attend tournaments and seminars in various countries worldwide. Our Grandmaster is active with the world Tae Kwon Do community, and has allowed his students to compete against and train with other students and Tae Kwon Do Instructors around the world.
Additionally, at testings our students are fortunate to have judges from around the state and around the country, not just locally or just the Instructor.
Very nice to have guess judges for a belt test, sound like you have a great school going on there in Michigan when I go up to the dearborn area to see relitive I should drive to your area and take a class or two if that would be alright. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Latest Discussions